This is the Message Centre for Serephina

My wedding report

Post 1

Serephina

Where to start?
Well there was more than one point we thought we'd never see this day. 2 years ago it was far more likely that my now husband would be planning my funeral than us our wedding.

As a lot of you know I met him nearly 5 years ago at a Winter hootoo meet. I was just about recovered from a complete arsehole of an ex and wasn't looking for much to be honest, maybe a bit of a laugh.
I remember standing at the bar with a couple of friends when he arrived and thinking with the beard he was sporting and the long black coat he looked klike a serial killer or something..a cute one though
We chatted on and off during the evening and I made a bad attempt at flirting. I'm actually quite shy and things like that don't come easily. Very out of charachter for me, as he went to leave I marched up behind, tapped him obn the shoulder then as he turned around, kissed him full on, said 'see you then' and walked away!
We spoke online and via email after and soon arranged for me to go and spend the weekend in Wales with him where he was living until he finished Uni. After that we spoke on the phone a lot and spent the weekend together when we could, which was never often enough. After a year or or so he finished university and moved back in with his Dad in London ,then later in with me and Josh.

I still remember the first time Ged met Josh. He kicked him in the shins and ran away smiley - laugh they do get on better now thankfully.

I've always suffered from Asthma, but about 2 years ago it took a very bad turn. I started having much more serious attacks where I would lose conciousness. I came close to dying on more than occasion where I also stopped breathing and gained a lot of weight, later also developing arthritis in my knees and hips and needed to spend increasingly more time in a whelchair which led to further weight gain. My confidence was ripped to shreds .
Ged could not have been more supportive and loving though and I still wonder what I did to deserve him.

We got engaged about 2 and a half years into our relationship. no big romantic propoosal, neither of us are really like that..more of a practical discussion in casualty one weekend after one of my attacks!

I was over the moon though even though we didn't set the date until Summer 2008, just had 2009 in mind.

We picked September because I'm Wiccan and believe in the wheel of the year where nature and life itself goes through its own cycle of birth, growth fulfillment and death. Autumn is the time where everything comes to its completion before the dying months of Winter where you end or banish things.

So..the wedding...

It was a bit of a manic day really. I didn't get home from having my nails done etc till about 1.30 am friday night and was up again 6am to shower and get ready to go over to Genie's house with the bridesmaid and flowergirl. I said my good byes to Ged and we got to Genie's about 930 , had croissants for breakfast, and her sister Amy arrived to do my hair while the other girls went to the reception hall to decorate.

They ended up with only an hour to decorate the place bless them and with there being a few hitches, such as the caterer leaving them short of table cloths, broken centerpieces and the venue forgetting to order the wine and OJ for the tables! ,they over ran and ended up with only 30 mins to get ready back at the house! While they were gone the flowers arrived, with an extra surprise for me. Ged had secretly arranged with the florist to have me sent a couple of dozen roses in all sorts of colours, pink, orange, red, yellow..they were beautiful and I got a bit choked up as Amy was trying to help me get my make -up on.

The nerves didn't really hit until about 10 minuts before we left and it was time to put my dress on. Seems I'd lost a little weight in the hospital last week (I was in for 4 days with flu and dtill recovering by the wedding) as it didn't fit as snugly in the bust as it had but it was too late to do anything about it so off we went!

We were a bit late arriving at the ceremony , everyone was already there and I hear Ged was getting a bit worried bless him.

I had a chat with the registrar in her office then it was time to go in.
I've never been so nervous in my life and Josh says I almost broke his hand I was holding it so tightly as we waited to go into the ceremony room. My little flower girl and page went first, followed by BM then me and Josh.

Apart from the first couple of people as I walked in the door I honestly couldn't see who was sat there .. I could only see Ged waiting at the end with a daft look on his face.

I got to the end and we all sat down while the registrar did the introduction and welcome and then Genie choked her way through her reading of I love you by Roy Croft.

I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;

I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.

Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.

You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.

After that she wasnt the only one in need of a tissue!

We said our legal declarations and exchanged rings and promises. Our personal promises were mixed in with the registrars ones and were repeated after her. I was so nervous I had trouble speaking and almost put the ring on his wrong hand!

Josh then very bravely and beautifully read the Apache Blessing for us.

Now you will feel no rain for each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness for each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies but there is only one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place to enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.

May the sun bring you new energy by day,
May the moon softly restore you by night,
May the rain wash away your worries
And the breeze blow new strength into your being,
And all of the days of your life may you walk
Gently through the world and know its beauty.

We signed the register and had some pics Then were announced as Mr and Mrs, presented with the marriagecertificate and went outside to chat to everyone for a bit before heading over to the palace grounds and lake for more photos. Its a really lovely spot and not that many know its there from just looking at the outside of the civic center.

After photos..during which Genie had to spend a good 5 minutes under my dress pulling my knickers up for me..smiley - laugh and ooohing sat the fox that gatecrashed the photos we headed off to the reception
and I finally got to see what Genie and the girls had done to our the hall...with only an hour to do it all! She really is a total star. Our colours were silver, ivory, purple annd lilac and the tables and sweetie bar jars were named in reference to Hitch Hikers.

The buffet was huuge..the caterer did well there and everyone got a drink and tucked in until it was time for thanks and toasts from Ged and a lovely Best Man speech from Genie.

We cut the cake nnd had our first dance to Midnight , the stars and You by Al Bowly ..yes thats right the ballroom song from The Shining! its always been our song though since the first time I visited him in Wales.

My brother did a great job as the DJ for our evening disco and the kids all had a great time dancing. We were expecting a lot more evening guests than arrived though so the evening did sadly go a little flat later on.

After that things are a little blurry as the drink flowed a bit too freely in my direction, not helped by 2legs chaining me to the bar and making me drink shots! smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

will link to more pics and the official ones very soon x

My wedding report

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Soooo romantic!!! Lovely to hear this!

smiley - towel

My wedding report

Post 3

Mol - on the new tablet

Oh, that's lovely, especially the poem. Thank you so much for sharing! The pictures are beautiful too.

How's married life so far then?!

Mol

My wedding report

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

If I remember correctly it was you* to marched me to the bar and insisted we did a gaggle of various shots.... only interupted when Genie turned up and demanded to know why she wasn't part of the shot drinking... smiley - runsmiley - biggrin

My wedding report

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm very happy for you and Ged. smiley - hug

My wedding report

Post 6

You can call me TC

smiley - crysmiley - brave

I love weddings - Have had a good look at the pictures. Lots of love to you both.

Many many congratulations.

My wedding report

Post 7

Serephina

Thanks everone smiley - kiss

Mol..its not really sank in yet to be honest and the last couple of days we've really busy so not even had any real time together yet

2legs..I know..lets blame Genie..she kidnapped us both eh? ;( smiley - laugh

My wedding report

Post 8

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

It was your dream wedding smiley - cry

Be happy, sweetheart smiley - cuddle

from your adopted mum,

lil xxx

PS, did you get a little something in the post? I'm not sure if we managed to beat the postal strike smiley - erm

My wedding report

Post 9

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

smiley - wah

It sounds like a beautiful day, hun. I wish I could have been there to share it...smiley - bruised

My wedding report

Post 10

zendevil

What lovely poems those are....aww, so happy for you both.

zdt

My wedding report

Post 11

Skankyrich [?]

'I still remember the first time Ged met Josh. He kicked him in the shins and ran away'

He's got a mean streak a mile wide, that Ged smiley - laugh

Sounds beautiful smiley - hug

My wedding report

Post 12

Serephina

smiley - laugh

you know what I meant Rich

Thanks everyone x

Maybe you'll be able to make our Wiccan Blessing next year Mags x

I did indeed get your card Mum, and yours Mags..thank you xx Just waiting for Ged to get round to printing the thank you letters , should be tomorrow x

My wedding report

Post 13

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Oh, good.. I just had visions of your cards piling up at the sorting office! smiley - hug

My wedding report

Post 14

Serephina

smiley - laugh

My wedding report

Post 15

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Now that is something I *will* not miss, Seraphina. smiley - smiley

My wedding report

Post 16

Serephina

Glad to hear it as I'll prolly need to ask yo to conduct the ceremony

smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post