A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

Arthur Conan Doyle on Devon's Celtic Heritage

Post 1

Newvonian

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle makes a brief reference to the Celtic heritage of Devon’s people in his novel “The Hound of the Baskervilles”. In one scene Sir Henry Baskerville, his friend and companion Dr. Mortimer, and Dr. Watson are traveling by train through the Devon countryside on their way to Baskerville Hall on Dartmoor. Sir Henry, who has been away from Devon for many years remarks to Dr. Watson that, “I have been over a good part of the world since I left it [that is Devon]... but I have never seen a place to compare with it.” To which Dr. Watson relies, “I never saw a Devonshire man who did not swear by his county.” Upon hearing this Dr. Mortimer makes the following comment: “It depends upon the breed of men quite as much as on the county ... a glance at our friend here reveals the rounded head of the Celt, which carries inside it the Celtic enthusiasm and power of attachment”. In referring to Sir Henry’s uncle, Sir Charles Baskerville, Mortimer says that “Poor Sir Charles’s head was of a very rare type, half Gaelic, half Ivernian in its characteristics.”

The novel is, of course, a work of fiction but this likely represents Conan Doyle’s own opinion on the ethnic origin of the Devonian people.

Post 2

Ozzie Exile

Arthur Conan Doyle was an interesting character. Born in Scotland to an English father and an Irish mother.

He had a connection to Devon.

After achieving his doctorate he joined a former classmate in forming a medical practice in Plymouth. This did not last long and Arthur soon moved on to other fields.

However, in writing about Devon he has some real life experience to back him up, as well as his research for specific books.

You must agree that he had the most imposing moustache!

Post 3

Newvonian

Indeed, a most impressive ’stache. I didn’t know about his time in Plymouth - interesting.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more