A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

North Devon savages - as seen by Victorian London

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

I came across this curious website posting which appears to refer to a particular group of North Devonians as perceived by a Victorian Londoner in 1875.

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications4/strange-11.htm

I post it here because it seemed to me to demonstrate that same judgemental attitude that the Victorians and others ascribed to the Irish and other native British - or indeed many other peoples - including the "man-eating" Fijians.

It would be funny, except that it was real.

Interestingly reading the text, the writer acknowledged that for all their poverty the family demonstrated a willingness to share their resources with this stanger, who then condemns then for only growing what they need. Today some people might see that as environmentally sensible and in balance with nature?

I am not sure why "a Moffat, a Livingston, or a Williams" should be considered "accustomed to barbarians in grain". Does the Livingstone refer to the famous "Dr Livingstone, I presume???"

Post 2

Einion

Ozzie Exile,

I think it probably does refer to David Livingstone, the missionary explorer in Africa. Robert Moffat was another Scottish missionary there, whose daughter Livingstone married.

I'm not sure who the Williams is, but it may well be John (?) Williams, a missionary to the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) who was clubbed to death by cannibals.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more