A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

A quote you might like

Post 1

nxylas

I was re-reading my copy of 'The Rebirth of England and English: The Vision of William Barnes' by Fr. Andrew Phillips during my chemotherapy session yesterday (I have Hodgkins Lymphoma and have to go through 6-8 months of chemo, though the odds are pretty good that the treatment will work, since Hodgkins is one of the most easily treatable forms of cancer) and I came across this quote from Barnes' 'Notes on Ancient Britain and the Britons'(1858) that I thought people here might like. The ellipses are in Phillips, and I don't have the original source text, so I don't know what they conceal.

"Some of our school-books tell their readers that the Britons wore the skins of beasts, as if it were a token of great misery; but...a fur coat is no token of misery...in an English railway carriage through a snowy day!".

A quote you might like

Post 2

tivvyboy

Nyxlas

Although we don't always agree on these messages, may I wish you a speedy recovery, that your treatment goes well, and that you get well soon.

A quote you might like

Post 3

Plymouth Exile

Nick,

I hope things go well for you, and that you are soon back to the best of health.

A quote you might like

Post 4

ExeValleyBoy

Nyxlas,

May I add my best wishes and hope you are better soon.

A quote you might like

Post 5

Ozzie Exile

I add my best wishes and I hope you have a speedy recovery

A quote you might like

Post 6

nxylas

Thanks everybody.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more