This is the Message Centre for Xenophe

Zdrastvuy!

Post 1

Nora - back from the Dublin meet!

Another 'hello' to add to your list, this one in Russian. Hi! I'm from Dublin and Georgia, also a fan of Adams, Pratchett, Charles de Lint, Peter Beagle... but now doing my Leaving Cert, so not reading as much as usual.
Welcome!

smiley - strawberries
Nora

Zdrastvuy!

Post 2

Xenophe

Thanks for the Russian and the welcome! smiley - smiley
I must admit I've not heard of Charles de Lint or Peter Beagle.

Zdrastvuy!

Post 3

Well, they're not usually 'comic' fantasy, and they can be a bit hard to find here - that is, outside North America. There's a story by Beagle in 'Knights of Madness', edited by Peter Haining. 'The Last Unicorn' is a minor classic, but I have to admit I haven't seen it here.
Who do you usually read?

The sky isn't falling here, which is a nice change.. smiley - winkeye I like your entry!

Zdrastvuy!

Post 4

Xenophe

I read Terry Pratchett a lot, although I've come to a halt after The Truth since I have to read them in order and Thief of Time hasn't come out in affoardable paper back yet. I also read Robert Rankin, Tom Holt, and of course Tolkein (although only Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit as the rest are utterly unreadable!)

Glad you like the entry smiley - smiley I feel that more people should be made aware of the real dangers of rain!

Zdrastvuy!

Post 5

smiley - laugh

I think I've read Tom Holt - does he write the ones parodying Greek, Norse etc. myths? I read one about Odin, the Valkyries, the Ring Daughters, and the rest of the Norse pantheon. Don't remember the title, but I really enjoyed the book.
Have noticed Rankin, but not read him yet.

Zdrastvuy!

Post 6

Xenophe

Yup thats Tom Holt. Rankin is very good, but he's got an unusual writing style and his books are very wierd. They take some getting used to!

Zdrastvuy!

Post 7

Do you know about a Rankin fan club? I ran into (not literally!) a poster for one the other day: http://www.sproutlore.com . Let me know if it's any good.

smiley - tea

Zdrastvuy!

Post 8

Oh, by-the-bye - ever heard of Piers Anthony? I don't know if his stuff is out here, but you might be interested. He's not the calibre of Pratchett (I've read up to The Truth as well, with one or two exceptions), but one of his books, chosen at random from his earlier stuff, would be fun just for the incredible puns, which are his main stock-in-trade.

smiley - coffee
I'm hooked on caffeine. 5 hours' sleep last night.

Zdrastvuy!

Post 9

Xenophe

The name sounds familiar, I'll try and look for 1 (altho wiv my local bookshops and library trying to find anything that isnt a best seller might be pushing it!)
I'll also have a look at the fan club. I've seen adverts 4 it in his books but never knew there was a website.

Zdrastvuy!

Post 10

friendlywithteeth

Ottaker's in Lough. isn't that bad! But Smith's in pants smiley - grr
FwT

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Xenophe

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more