This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

What AM I going to wear???

Post 41

Beatrice

Show's over folks, move along, nothing to see!

Ooomph, I know I'm going to hit the post-show blues today, has anyone got any chocolate?

After-show party last night, when I finally confirmed that I was not only the oldest woman on stage, but also the only mother.

Some of the cast from Dublin came up to join us last night, which was great! I'm tempted to make the trip to Glasgow to see the next performance - it's been so odd rehearsing in spaces with no mirrors, I can only imagine how the piece looks.

Post 42

You can call me TC

smiley - choc Here ye are!

I was just musing on how a sober discussion of the development of feminism over the past 4 decades can go under the title of "What shall I wear"!

Post 43

aka Bel - A87832164

On hootoo, anything ges. smiley - smiley

smiley - choc for Bea. smiley - choc

Post 44

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - choc, congrats, and the advice of a former thespian - bask in your laurels and enjoy it. smiley - smiley Good work.

I think your comments on feminism, and editing everybody's time-travel stories, gave me the dream I had last night. Which was about a woman who found herself back in Davy Crockett's day, and was thinking about how hard it all was. And realising that she couldn't vote! I woke up annoyed at them all back then.

For what it's worth, I think all the women on both sides of my family were as 'liberated' as was possible under the circumstances. They insisted on their right to make their own decisions, and only put up with men who supported them. My maiden and widowed aunts were wonderful people who did what they pleased, and there was very little gender-role nonsense where I came from. (One grandmother was murder on snakes in her garden, and the other tenderised steak with a claw hammer. The latter weighed about 80 pounds, and her son-in-law was in awe of her.)

My maternal great-grandmother, whom I never had the privilege of meeting, divorced her first husband. Sent the rogue packing because he was useless. (He went to Texas, never to be heard from again, good riddance.) She did this in spite of having a baby to care for, back at the end of the 19th Century. Then she married a nice, steady German fellow who came downriver one day...smiley - smiley

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we'll win this fight someday. Especially because women like you have the courage to keep fighting. smiley - hug

Post 45

Gnomon - time to move on

I gave you a tin of chocolate drink, and a mug for you to drink it in.

Post 46

Beatrice

You did indeed, and I've already used the little mini hot water bottle on an aching back smiley - hug

Right, I have in front of me a Sedds of Change dark with orange and fig, and a Green and Blacks Organic dark with whole cherries. Which should I open first?

(Oh, and just had dinner with someone who saw the show twice, and had a lovely intelligent discussion about being naked in a non-sexual context)

Post 47

You can call me TC

Male or female?

Post 48

Beatrice

Male. Very adventurous, has been on naturist holidays.

Post 49

Gnomon - time to move on

I vote for the orange and fig.

Post 50

Beatrice

That's lucky, cos I got fed up waiting for advice from you lot and the orange and fig is half eaten smiley - tongueout

Post 51

Gnomon - time to move on

Keep the cherry for tomorrow. Or am I too late making that suggestion?

Post 52

Malabarista - now with added pony

Keep chocolate? smiley - huh What a strange idea!

Post 53

Gnomon - time to move on

How's the post-show let down now? smiley - hug

I know that I always feel that way after a h2g2 Meet, or even the party in your house, because it's something I really enjoy which is different to my normal life, and when I come back home, I have to come down to earth. There's nothing wrong with my normal life, but it seems a trifle flat after the excitement of doing something different.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Beatrice

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more