A Conversation for Rice Recipes

Adding flavour to rice

Post 1

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Usually rice is just boiled. It often ends up tasting of virtually nothing. Which isn't always a bad thing. But you can make rice taste of... well... rice! (there's a revelation!)

All you need to do is add a small pinch of salt, and a small pinch of chilli/mustard powder when cooking the rice.

When you eat the rice, you should not be able to taste the spice. But the heat of the spice will make your mouth water more, allowing you to taste the rice 'more effectively'.

smiley - smiley

Adding flavour to rice

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

The results of some random experimentation:

Add some lemongrass and a couple of strands of saffron for delicately flavoured rice that goes well with Thai dishes.

Add turmeric (mainly for colour so you don't need tons) a bay leaf, a blade of mace, and a couple of cloves for rice that is good with indian food.

I am sure I have added other things in my time so I will trawl the memory banks and see if I can come up with any more...

smiley - puffk who always ends up contributing to the food ones...

Adding flavour to rice

Post 3

Great Western Lettuce (no.51) Just cut down the fags instead

To make the ultimate rice - chuck in a cinnamon stick when you boil the water and keep it in there when boiling the rice.
If you boil it for long enough (which I did by mistake once), it turns pink.
But it does spice the rice nice.

Adding flavour to rice

Post 4

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

You can also try cooking rice by the absorbtion method using a tin of tomatoes to make up most of the liquid.

Then serve with lots of grated cheese. Cheap student comfort food smiley - smiley

Adding flavour to rice

Post 5

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

This is on the front page today, there should probably be a link...

A702820

smiley - puffk

Key: Complain about this post