A Conversation for Torque or Moment

Peer Review: A694389 - Torque or Moment

Post 1

Ion the Naysayer

Entry: Torque or Moment - A694389
Author: Ion - U185766

Noticed there was nothing in the Guide on Torque and decided to write something simple up. It's fairly concise and shouldn't have any grammar or spelling errors in it.

Incidentally there's no entry on spirograph, either.

A694389 - Torque or Moment

Post 2

HenryS

Style point - need to rephrase a few things so they don't involve any first person type words.

Looks fun, but I think it wants a bit more of the serious content type stuff, probably as far as an equation or two, given the equations for moments are pretty easy, maybe some more examples. Right now it seems like the introduction (i.e. about forces rather than moments/torque) is too long compared with the content about moments.

Post 3

THE KID

The forces of Torque or moment maybe. It's your call. Also would been nice to have a formula to be able to see affect of said force.
However I found the Entry interesting.
The KID

Post 4

Ion the Naysayer

Thank you for the excellent feedback.

I'm currently rewriting the Entry to include more substantial details (e.g. formulas and calculations plus some more examples).

Hopefully the background info/content info balance should be a bit better when I'm done.

Post 5

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I'm an engineer and I use "torque." Probably worth mentioning that torque is a rotational force, "bending moment" is a force applied to a rigid object at a distance from its point of suspension, "moment of inertia" is the ability of a cross-section to resist bending.

Post 6

Arthur Dent

IH just posting to say i subbmitted you entry to be edited. Its good.

Recommended, so what happens next?

Post 7

Whisky

Hi
there Ion, you've probably already received an e-mail saying your entry has been recommended and what happens next, but in case you haven't, have a look at :
<./>SubEditors-Process</.>
which should explain what happens next.

I'll be editing your entry, the new version of which, that'll eventually end up in the edited guide, is at A698556, I'll give you a shout when I've finished so that you get the chance to have a last look through it before I send it back to the editors...

In the mean time, have fun, keep writing, and if you've any questions, don't hesitate, just give me a kick

congratulations and smiley - cheers

whisky

Post 8

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Virtual drink only - hah! Torque is cheap.

Post 9

Ion the Naysayer

Thanks smiley - smiley

Post 10

Whisky

Hi again, Ok, I've finally had the chance to have a look at your entry, I haven't changed much, just a few first persons into third persons and a couple of changes to minor style points...
If you want to have a look at it before I hand it back, feel free to tell me if you don't like something or if you've any last minute changes...

smiley - cheers
whisky

Formula and Calculations

Post 11

Ion the Naysayer

Somebody mentioned that the entry should have the formula in it since it's a simple one. I didn't get the chance to add it in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The formula for torque is as follows:

T = F * d (F dot d)

Where:
"T" is torque (alternatively "M" for moment)
"F" is the Force applied perpendicular to the axis of the object
"d" is the parallel distance between the force and the point for which you are calculating the moment (alternatively "r" for radius)

To find the sum of moments, you pick an arbitrary point to set as the "point of rotation". Calculate the moments as above. Set the moments that would cause the object to turn about its "point of rotation" in one direction (usually Counter Clock-Wise) to be positive. Set the moments that would cause the object to turn about its "point of rotation" in the other direction to be negative. Add up all the moments to find the net moment acting on an object.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the entry looks good. The first to third person changes are better than the ones I was working on. They seem to fit the flavour of the site a bit better.

Thanks smiley - smiley

Formula and Calculations

Post 12

Ion the Naysayer

Upon reading that over again, "The mathematical formula for torque..." is probably more appropriate.

Formula and Calculations

Post 13

Whisky

smiley - ok I'll add that paragraph...

Was thinking about putting it at the end, under a
'The mathematics of torque'

or just 'mathematics'

what do you think?

Formula and Calculations

Post 14

Ion the Naysayer

smiley - cool Sounds good to me.

Formula and Calculations

Post 15

Ion the Naysayer

I have to learn to read more carefully, especially when I'm smiley - headhurts with school.

I think "Mathematics of Torque" reads a little better.

Formula and Calculations

Post 16

Whisky

Ok, all done and on its way back to the editors, next stop the front page....
Congratulations

smiley - cheers
whisky

Formula and Calculations

Post 17

Ion the Naysayer

smiley - biggrin

I feel so loved... smiley - winkeye

Formula and Calculations

Post 18

Much improved, and well worth the effort.

Formula and Calculations

Post 19

Ion the Naysayer

Glad you like it.

Key: Complain about this post