A Conversation for The Barn Owl in the UK

Peer Review: A679845 - The Barn Owl in the UK

Post 1

Ommigosh

Entry: The Barn Owl in the UK - A679845
Author: Ommigosh - U169023

A679845 - 'The Barn Owl in the UK'

I wrote this some time ago and on re-reading think it might be ready for the edited guide.

A679845 - The Barn Owl in the UK

Post 2

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

I agree. A fine entry indeed.

The only tiny thing that grated with me is when you wrote "Probably less than half of the young owls will survive" - please write 'fewer' instead of 'less', or say instead that the majority will probably not survive.

Apart from that very tiny nitpick - it's terrific!

Bels

Post 3

Ommigosh

Oops, sorry. Done!

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Om

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Excellent entry, and not a mention anywhere of that ghastly "What were barn owls called before there were barns" line smiley - biggrin

Post 5

il viaggiatore

Some people will know immediately which bird it is if you mention that David Bowie's Goblin King character in The Labyrinth could shape shift into a Barn Owl. You might include something to this effect in your sentence.

Post 6

Ommigosh

Thanks for the Labyrinth suggestion, il viaggiatore, Although I really like most of Bowie's musical works, I am not familiar with the film at all. Not sure if the reference, if I put it in, would be helpful to lots of people.

By the way, did you know that cutting and pasting your other name from the POSTED BY bit under the REPLY box makes it come out as
" Tea????p? "?

Post 7

Stuart

Just to add another voice to the well deserved applause. smiley - ok

Walking after dusk near where I live you are often swooped on by a Barn Owl and silent they are indeed. Its an extraordinary experience.

Stuart

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 9

Stuart

Congratulations Ommigosh,

See you on the front page.

smiley - magic

smiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - chocsmiley - stout

Stuart

Post 10

Ommigosh

Thanks.
You are lucky to have seen one of these birds in the wild. We hardly get any of them at all up here in Angus.

Post 11

Frankie Roberto

Hi, this is Frankie, I'm editing the entry (some time soon, hopefully), so if you have any problems shout at me. Thanks.

Post 12

Ommigosh

Thanks. Cheers.

Post 13

Frankie Roberto

Just finished editing it now. Please let me know if there are any glaring errors I've introduced. I'll return the entry tomorrow.

Post 14

Frankie Roberto

Opps, it's at A847479.

Post 15

Ommigosh

Looks great to me. thanks.

One observation (not a complaint!). I think that it is more normal in birdy circles to talk about bird populations in terms of pairs though. (I had "4000 pairs", but it now reads "8000 alive"). No big deal, though.

Thanks again for your editing!
Cheers

Post 16

Frankie Roberto

I thought it was a bit odd to talk about pairs. Maybe you're right though. I'll change it back.

Key: Complain about this post