A Conversation for WAR

Why Not?

Post 1

Soothsaya

Hello Scarab. I read your entry on Heroin and came to your space and I must say, I dislike the same things you do! I also read this rant against war of yours. I agree with everything except where you say,

'Terrorism (like drug use) thrives in poor and ill-educated societies, and the true way to defeat it is to fight the poverty, injustice and inequality that breed such suicidal violence.

But that really aint gonna happen.'

Why do you say it really aint gonna happen? Maybe it will not happen soon - it will not happen while the power-systems we have now remain strong and unchanged - but I think it *will* happen someday. There are many people who already realise that the old ways of thinking and doing things just don't make any sense any more. We people who think and feel like you and I do must come together and *work* together for the sake of future generations. There's a quote I saw somewhere which goes something like, we must view every child on planet Earth as our own child. Just ponder that. I don't want any child of mine to die of hunger, or to be ripped apart by bombs, or to be raped or hired out for sex, or to live with his/her face in a bag of glue, or to become a slave labourer, or to forced to become an unfeeling killing machine. That is daily life, though, for millions of third world kids and probably more and more in the so-called first world as well, as a result of the growing inequality and insecurity in the world as the powerful become more powerful and the powerless more powerless. But it *cannot* go on for very much longer. People simply will not tolerate it. Many people will rebel in pointless and destructive ways, such as terrorism, but many others will start finding more constructive ways of resistance. People can learn. Humanity can learn.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for WAR

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more