A Conversation for The Freedom From Faith Foundation

What's with the Devil?

Post 1

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

I have trouble with the concept of the DEVIL SATAN whatever you want to call him.
It seems to me that he is doing GOD a favour if he did infact exist.
He looks after and punishes all the people that annoy god.
So - isn't that something you would do for a buddy, not someone who chucked you out of your home and banished you forever....
Any thoughts?
smiley - magic

What's with the Devil?

Post 2

Gone again

From what I know (learned here and elsewhere), the Devil seems to be mainly an invention of the overly-pious, intended to keep the congregation in line. The usual sort of thing.... smiley - winkeye

If you ask Satanists, the deity they describe normally has little or nothing to do with the 'bogey-man' perspective of the Christian (and Moslem?) religions.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

What's with the Devil?

Post 3

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

Hi Pattern-Chaser, how are you?

I don't actually believe in God or the Devil. I just like to make sure that anything I'm thinking at any given time isn't completely illogical. So it's good to find a place to talk about all of this.
It often amazes me that people belive in organized religion when there seems to be so many holes in it. And I'm never really sure that the holes I see are as realistic as I think they are.
So thank you for discussing them with me
Wejut
smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more