A Conversation for Coping with Redundancy

Collaborative Writing Workshop: A660881 - Coping with Redundancy

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A660881

This entry doesn't have any text in it yet because I don't know what write. I got made redundant yesterday and don't quite know what to do with myself but I am hoping my fellow researchers in h2g2 might have some hints and tips, and good advice that I can use as well as add to this entry. All help is welcome!

A660881 - Coping with Redundancy

Post 2

drtysox

Try saying the same thing over again but in a different way.

Post 3

Sue

Still interested in this one Kelli? Having recently had one of those dreadful letters myself - although with plenty of notice, the job doesn't disappear till the end of March, perhaps we can get our heads together on this?

Sue

Post 4

Ormondroyd

I didn't cope particularly well myself when I first lost the job I'd had for more than 10 years. But having gone through that experience, the main advice I'd give would be to accentuate the positive. If you're between jobs for a while, think of it as a well-earned holiday! Enjoy those morning lie-ins! Go to your local library, look at all those books, and just think - you now have time to read them! Make sure that you claim all the welfare benefits you're entitled to - it took me a while to understand all the intricacies of Housing Benefit.

List all the things about your job that you hated, and glory in the fact that you no longer have to suffer them. That smiley - bleep of a boss will never bully or humilate you again! Having had a real smiley - monster of a boss where I worked, that thought did wonders for my morale! smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

And finally - just think of all the great stuff you can do on h2g2! Including writing this Entry, which is a really good idea. If I can help, I'd love to! smiley - ok

Post 5

Martin Harper

hi Kelli. smiley - smiley

Just going through the collaborative workshop - looks like an interesting subject. Sadly (or happilly!) not something I know about. But you might look at A670132, which has some (slightly cynical) advice.

You could link to A438536 - Interview Techniques, which is pretty good, and another collaborative piece.

It's a shame you've not got more feedback, to be honest. I wonder if a thread on ask h2g2 would get a few responses?

good luck!
-Lucinda

Post 6

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Hello,
I've been thinking about coming back to do this recently, just a matter of taking the time to do it properly. Polidari Wormwood has written something on the same topic and we were going to sort it out together *reminder to give him a kick*

This is relevant for me again as I went for one of those 'out of the frying pan' jobs and started contracting. Unfortunately my client has been very prominent in the news recently so I'm going to be out on my ear again soon...smiley - yikes

At least I'll have time to write the article smiley - biggrin!

I had a few comments on various threads - it was a very miserable time for me and the h2g2 community were very supportive, as ever a girl called Ben was full of good advice. I probably do have enough to write something, and have enough distance from my experience to make it objective now, but if anyone does have any more things I could put in it that would be great!

Cheers
smiley - puffk

Post 7

Martin Harper

As a start, why not put a list of all the threads and entries where you got good advice at the top of your entry? And post a link to all those threads pointing out this entry, of course! That'll be a nice way for people to read through what else has been written, and maybe spark off a bit more discussion smiley - smiley

Looking forward to what agcB said - she's always on the nail, I find smiley - biggrin
-Lucinda

Post 8

The Ghost of Polidari

Only slightly cynical??????

Knew I should have tried harder smiley - biggrin!

Post 9

Martin Harper

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more