This is the Message Centre for Fenchurch M. Mercury

Guide Entries

Post 1

Fenchurch M. Mercury

I have the urge to write more guide entries, but I can't think of what they should be about. All I can think of is the insane price of gas ($2.00 a gallon!) and possible choices for dinner. Hmm.

Guide Entries

Post 2

typolifi

You could use the following method:
1) Take what you were thinking about: "the insane price of gas ($2.00 a gallon!) ",
2) Say to yourself, that it's imlpossible, and that there should be something even more insane,
3) Find thus something really weird like: "This price doesn't even include the use of the gas tubes as self-phones (a self-phone being a tube which you carve in such way that you can speak into one of it's ends and it goes directly to your ear at the other end) ( the whole thing is to invent a concept like self phone on the very moment of your writing, and it will expand on its own),
4) Change the scale of use of your idea, for instance by generalising it to one of the 3 following things: Life, the Universe and h2g2. Which gives you: "I wonder if h2g2 is not a gigantic self-phone",
5) That's it: you ended with a very smiley - fish deep thought smiley - winkeye and by the way forgot about the price of gas.

Guide Entries

Post 3

Fenchurch M. Mercury

But why use icky - smelling gas tubes for self - phones if there's cellular and digital technology? Why not just have a self - cell - phone? *I* know why. Because we wouldn't be able to afford it due to the excruciating price of gasoline.

smiley - winkeye

Guide Entries

Post 4

Zed

Fenny,

My dear, dear friend. Dear, sweet Fenny.

$2 a gallon?? You call that even SLIGHTLY expensive?? Do you?? I don't, I call it practically FREE! When you get to *hunts frantically for calculator* Nearly $7 or possibly $8 a gallon, like wot we pay, I might have some sympathy!

*end of rant*

Hows you, anyway m'dear?

H&K
Z

Guide Entries

Post 5

Shorty

Yes I must agree with Zed, if I could get petrol at $2 a gallon I would be a lot wealthier, I could fill my car up for £10 rather than £40...smiley - sadface

Guide Entries

Post 6

Ant

Strangely actually being a strange englishman now living in the states for a few months, I entirely understand why it's fair to complain about the rising price of gas. Cause everything here revolves around it, there is no other means of transport to the car. It's nice here though, cost of living is very low smiley - smiley

Guide Entries

Post 7

what you know as km

Yeah, I mean if they didn't charge you a ridiculous price for gasoline, then who would ride the trains and the buses and the subways? See, our gas is so cheap that no one uses any of that public transport, so the cities have failed to keep them up, so now no one *wants* to use them, because they're really dirty and they kill people. It's an economic nightmare—you should be *grateful* for your exorbitant gasoline costs!

Guide Entries

Post 8

Shorty

Well please forgive me if I don't throw a party over them LOLsmiley - winkeye

Guide Entries

Post 9

Classic Krissy

*throws a party over them anyway*

But then again, I ride the "EL".

Guide Entries

Post 10

Shorty

O.K. I'm dumb...whats an "EL"???smiley - sadface

Guide Entries

Post 11

what you know as km

I saw 12 Angry Men that day, so I believe it is an elevator train. What the hell an elevator train is I have NO idea. But it made me feel worldly when I knew what an EL was, so I thought I should share. smiley - winkeye

Guide Entries

Post 12

MC EXAMPLE

The chicago El would be a great guide entry. 'EL' stands for elevated, not elevator, because the tracks of the train were built over the roadway. BTW, lasagna always makes a nice dinner, and 12 angry men is a great movie.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Fenchurch M. Mercury

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more