This is the Message Centre for Z

The h2g2 Society for debating

Post 1

Z

Just recently I had put an entry in Peer Review.

In response to the Create Christmas Recipe Share I put in an entry on what to do with a vegetarian at Christmas. It was a great success and lots of people commented in Peer Review, we also got into a lovely debate about the ethics of meat eating.

And you know what I miss about h2g2 - its some where to have a contentious debate in a civilised way.

We need a page to do this! Anyone with me?

Post 2

Z

I should add that this is a totally unofficial idea, born without the wearing of any heats at all!

Post 3

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Any heats? So it will be a cold thread

I'm in, and i suggest nuclear power as the second topic (vegetarianism continuing, is of course, the first one)

Post 4

Z

I'm sure we can have more than one topic going at once.. Nuclear power seems really interesting.

I have things to say about animal testing too...

Post 5

Z

Er, I meant 'hats'...

Post 6

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Agreed, and sorry, i meant to say that we should make an entry to allow multiple threads to be debated

Yes I'd like to debate animal testing - won a decent sized debate competition for my argument pro-animal testing (for medical reasons that is, not cosmetic)

Post 7

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Post 8

Z

Debates are fun - when they are about the issues, and you can explore your thinking without getting personal.

I'm pro as well - which is odd for a vegetarian.

F19585?thread=8241609

Post 9

Z

That was a link to a thread that I started about what makes a good debate on the internet.

I thought the first post contained some useful ground guidelines.

Would you like to start the A page or shall I?

Post 10

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Erm yes.. though i can see a couple of logic trails that you can use to agree with both (the saving of human life vs the happiness, i suspect)

I am not veggie and support animal testing, but not for cosmetics because I feel that non-sentient beings (which btw now causes problems with apes etc and testing - since it is most accurate, but on the most intelligent animals) do not have such a right to life, but their suffering should be minimised

Post 11

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I'll do it - I've got dinner now, but it'll be up in an hour or so

care to suggest any topics? Or just those three for now and let others come as wanted?

Post 12

KB

Isn't the Forum basically what you describe?

Post 13

Z

Basically though the forum ended up not being that civilised. Wasn't it the venue for parts of the Della wars?

Post 14

swl

A1052146

Post 15

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

We would need some efforts to revitalise

Like ideas/layout etc - but i notice the last thing was 4 years ago...

SOunds like a good ggroup

Join the exsisting group, and revitalise, or invent a new one and pull people there?

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

The Footinoti Society: A11634707

Post 17

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Another worthwhile thing that we could bring back to life if we go that way - lots of encouraging people over, since we still have a few years with no activity on it.

Any more groups to appear? smiley - winkeye

And views if any idea is better? Make one, or pick one of the other two?

Post 18

Z

I have to admit I like the idea of a new start. Clearly people have been wanting this sort of discussion for some time, for a new start we could get everyone who's interested at the moment together and maybe agree some groundrules.

Should we also agree to call each other if, in the heat of the debate, we overstep the groundrules...?

Post 19

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Depends to what extent i would say - a minor one could just be fixed by someone nudging it back on track-
A single aggressive but not malignant comment doesn't do excessive harm, and if a polite reply can bring the conversation back onto track without being disruptive that would be for the best

Otherwise yes, and having as many people as possible willing to call would be best

And i also would agree that a new start is best

Post 20

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Hey Z, I was planning to launch a debate forum, remember?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Z

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more