This is the Message Centre for Josh the Genius

Coupla things...

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Hi Josh,

I've been a bit busy in other debates just recently. I just dropped by to ask how you were getting on with your stuff for the Creation/Evolution thing, and I noticed you've really upgraded your personal space! smiley - cheers

So, a few observations on that...

If one of your heroes is the guy who wrote "Jurassic Park", it's "Crichton" not "Chrichton".

If one of your cartoonists is the Calvin and Hobbes guy, it's Watterson (two t's).

I'm curious about one of your "military heroes" - I don't know anything about the guy's career before the Gulf war in '91, so Colin Powell seems to me an odd choice. What's his background?

Bogart's first name has an "r" in it.

TOTALLY with you on Jeri Ryan... smiley - winkeye

Your first quote: it's "necessary", and "Assisi"

It's the BEST way to get a drink out of a Vogon. Not the ONLY way. (I'm a real stickler for getting DNA quotes *just* right, sorry...)

You're in good company being in favour of capital punishment - I read the other day that Marilyn vos Savant, "the world's smartest woman", is in favour. Personally I'm against, on the grounds that you get to the gas chamber, scaffold, or electric chair via a process operated by fallible humans. Too many times in the last ten years in the UK, people who *would* have been executed have been released from prison after having their original convictions quashed. The worst example was a guy named Stefan Kisko, who had learning difficulties. He was arrested and after confessing under heavy interrogation, jailed for life for the rape and murder of a little girl. If we'd had the death penalty, he'd have hung, no doubt. Except that sixteen years later a second analysis of the DNA evidence proved that there was no possible way he could have been the killer. He was released. I appreciate that there are times when there appears to be no doubt about guilt... but they thought that about Kisko.

"I believe the Democratic party has broken away from its roots in patriotism, democracy, the Constitution, and the will of the people" - is this the same Democratic party which polled the most votes in the last election? More of you guys in the US voted for the Democrats than voted for the Republicans, and Bush won. He didn't seem too concerned about democracy and the will of the people there... (I can't debate this with you at any length I'm afraid, I don't know enough, it just strikes me as a bit funny given the history)

I'm a big Trek fan too (check out the Nitpicker's Guide to Next Gen Volume II - my (real) name's in the front... admittedly with about 800 others, but it's there! smiley - smiley) although I'm beginning to think about recanting Star Wars. Attack of the Clones better be damn good.

Finally, there is a spelling mistake in the last line, but it looks GREAT! "agrue or agree". Can't imagine anyone not understanding what that means, and it's got great rhythm, do leave it as it is, won't you...

H.

Coupla things...

Post 2

Josh the Genius

If there is one monster that haunts me and gives me nightmares more than anything else, it is spelling.smiley - smiley

That's an excellent point about capital punishment, and almost enough to make me disagree with it. I'm in favor of a proposal where, instead of letting guys like Kisko free, we give them life in prison. Beauracracy (worried about spelling) conquers all, though.

Coupla things...

Post 3

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

...but Kisko was proved innocent, that's why he was freed...

(Notice you haven't changed the spelling yet. btw isn't it a bit unfair to berate someone like barrelracer because his grammar is 'uphalling' when you're not infallible. And one'd think you'd have a word with caleb.)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Josh the Genius

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more