A Conversation for Tai Chi Chuan

Tai Chi

Post 1

Researcher 212446

I liked what you wrote about Tai Chi and thank you for a lot of info I did not have. I am just beginning to be interested in this art. While I spent two months with my daughter in Brasilia, yes, capital of Brasil, I had lessons with a Chilean lady called Erika. She had learned from an old Chinese Lady and taught beautifully. She mentioned something I thought interesting to add to your article. She said Tai Chi was very good for training the memory, or re-activating it in the case of elderly people, because you have to remember sequences of movements and then translate them into actions. I found it quite difficult, but even when done imperfecty on my part, very satisfying and relaxing and I even lost weight! Good luck to you and regards from 212446

Tai Chi

Post 2

Researcher 223102 A'ine

I would appreciate any information regarding classes in the Central Scotland area.as I think Tai Chi practice would help me regain my health and fitness 50+

Tai Chi

Post 3

Barneys Bucksaws

Hello! I learned Taoist Tai Chi, developed and taught by Master Moi. Check out this site www.taoist.org

Tai Chi

Post 4

Barneys Bucksaws

Hello! I learned Taoist Tai Chi, developed and taught by Master Moi. Check out this site www.taoist.org

Tai Chi

Post 5

wujipaul

A fine article. So few people recognise Taiji for what it is, or rather what it should be.
I teach Taiji from martial principles and find that my classes are very small as too many people want to learn 'that nice healthy dance they do...'
Anyhoo.... the tired legs thing? As you begin training you find in any exercise system that it takes a little time to grow accustomed to the use of different muscle groups. Taiji is no different. After a while your thighs grow stronger and so the feeling of jelly legs tends to go away. Until you strat to 'up the ante' and work on a new technique/method. Then hey presto - jelly legs-the sequal.
I practice the Yang Lu-Ch'an form as close as possible to the way my teacher, Erle Montague, proscribes and so a lot of what goes on is inclined toward the martial side of things. We play at push hands and sword and try to develop from these the good fundamentals of taiji so that as many aspects of the training methods are consistent with eachother. Each time a movement is questioned we attempt to examine some kind of martial app' for it to try to get into what the heck is supposed to be going on.
Of the 7-8 students I have in my main session I would say there are really only 1 or 2 who are there purely for their health and not to learn about the martial background. Even these 1 or 2 however appreciate the need to know what is actually happening in the forms.
Lastly I do admire your stand on the concept of Chi being fully explainable using mundane understanding of the human body. Chi to me has always been a catch all phrase to explain a whole host of body systems which were not fully understood at the time of the 'birth' of taiji style fighting methods. We now have a greater understanding of the nervous, blood, lymphatic and endocrine systems of the body as well as others and how they all interact. I use these methods to explain Taiji and only ever adopt 'chi' when i need to relate to the wholeness of a technique.
Fine article this. Hope you can give me permission to print and use it for my newer victims... erm studentssmiley - biggrin.
Thanks, Paulsmiley - cheers

Tai Chi

Post 6

Barneys Bucksaws

Thanks for even more information! My opinion of Tai Chi? Amazing! I've found that even just doing the warm-ups keeps the arthritis in my shoulder blade at bay. I've been off it for 3 months, fell in a huge rut in December and bashed up my left arm - bruised from shoulder to wrist, sore muscles all up and down my arm. Its still giving me trouble at times, so I'm slowly and gently getting back to the warm ups. I can't even manage all of them yet, but I'm doing what I can. Muscle tone is starting to come back, and my arm's much more comfortable to deal with. If I just push it as much as I'm able and don't hurt myself, it'll eventually fix my arm.

An interesting thing I noticed when I first got into it: about 4 months or so after I started, I suddenly realized I was more conscious of my limbs, and how they were moving, and colours suddenly seemed more defined. I was working on a shop floor, and the increased co-ordination was a huge bonus!

Tai Chi

Post 7

ROOSTERSHEELZ

Hi there.
Regarding tai chi classes in Central Scotland, try Armadale Comunity Center Wednesday nights at 7 pm untill 9pm. A small friendly class, come along & try it out. All age ranges in class,tea & a chat to finish.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more