This is the Message Centre for Elbow Yangle (and the case for boys in eyeliner)

University

Post 1

Elbow Yangle (and the case for boys in eyeliner)

I've been here at jolly old Bangorfor about 11 weeks now, and it's almost as if I've been here my etire life. It's quite odd that in the one weekend that I have been home this term, I really missed Bangor. WEird. I'm slightly disturbed by this. However, there are plent of reasons why everyone hould love, and come to Bangor University: Dodgey Dereks (fast food for the drunk), the gorgeous views of mountains, the sea and the Menai Straight, the fact that you can wave at Angelsey every morning when you wake up, the really cute little beach, Time (you've got to love it), the people, and the fact that everyone is equally crazy, the Main Arts building (yes, there are lots of stairs and it is on top of a hill, but it's gorgeous and you know it!), and finally Emrys Evans. Hall of Residence extraordinaire. Full of asbestos, mold and other random weirdnesses, but ace all the same.

University

Post 2

Pimms

Does SODA still exist at UCNW? It does!smiley - biggrin When I knew Bangor there was only one society doing 'musicals' and that was the G&S Society. I had heard this became an ex-society over a dozen years ago. I looked at the Bangor University site http://www.bangor.ac.uk - it looks like the Friddeodd site has been completely redeveloped smiley - erm. SODA (one of the founder members!) and ROSTRA ...nostalgia trip smiley - cool Has the Nelson Mandela bar at the Student Union been renamed? Ahhh ...the smell of stale beer.

Liked the entry on teenage sub-cultures.smiley - smiley

smiley - goodluck with your musical ventures.

Pimms smiley - ok

University

Post 3

SODA's still there, but I'm sure there is no longer a Nelson Mandela bar! There's a Jock's bar, but no Nelson Mandela!
Yep, Ffridd site has been alll but redeveloped, though some of the relics still remain, like the one I'm living in - Emrys Evans (which is due for demolition the year after next). Plas Gwyn's still here too, though half of it has been condemned, and the other half are no longer allowed to cook their own food because of the health risks, or something. Madness! Excuse me being thick, but what does UCNW stand for?

University

Post 4

Pimms

Showing my age there smiley - erm - University College of North Wales - when I was there Bangor was part of the University of Wales. I hadn't realised it had been rebadged.

The Nelson Mandela bar was the main bar in the Student Union building. It existed at a time when there were numerous other Mandela-supporting student ventures throughout the UK. There was a memorable amount of offence when ROSTRA ran a sketch in a revue with a person dressed as a nazi officer suggesting it be re-named the Hess bar, since Hess had been in prison a lot longer for his political beliefs.

Do you know what SODA is performing this year?

Pimms smiley - smiley

University

Post 5

It is still part of the university of wales. But now it's UWB - The University of Wales, Bangor.
I think SODA are doing South Pacific this term, but I could be wrong!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Elbow Yangle (and the case for boys in eyeliner)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more