This is the Message Centre for The keeper of all things Yorkshire and defender of muffins (1x(8-3)+5x7+2)

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 1

3 Of 8: Currently lurking. <?> <BORG>

So, you're stuck on your lonesome in (the middle of?) Brum! Oh how I laff at you schmuck.... No hang on, that's not right..

Birmingham is a wonderful, beautiful city full of er... Brummies. As long as you remember not to go out after dark (Or indeed in the daylight if you can help it), and to get your self a MEAN bodyguard type of dog, I'm sure you'll love it here smiley - laugh

On the plus side, we do have the NIA, the NEC, The Rep. and The Convention Centre for music and whatnot, so it's not all bad. smiley - winkeye

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 2

The keeper of all things Yorkshire and defender of muffins (1x(8-3)+5x7+2)

One? mine are at least three!

You're right Birmingham's not that bad. It's a bit of a culture shock living in what's apparently a the red light district of edgbaston after four years of oh so cultured cambridge and oh so rural north yorkshire...

which bit are you in? (like your page, btw...)

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 3

O' me gawd... Don't under any cirumstances ever let an Edgbaston resident hear you refer to their patch as 'The Red Light District'.. No.. no. no no no.. That's a little further down the road in a stunning area smiley - laugh called Balsall Heath (incase you ever wanted to know smiley - winkeye ) That area is known offically, by all in Brum as The Red Light District.

Well seeing as that's where you are, you might be able to get away with going out side in the daytime smiley - biggrin, and you're also close to town, so that's not too bad.

I'm living just the other side of town in a wonderful area (known as Aston) where you can walk the streets in safety (When surrounded by several guys built like brick s**t houses that is).

So what is it that brought you here? I did look at your page earlier and you probably have said already....but I'm simple and I forget things quickly. smiley - doh

Oh, and thanks for the comment about the page smiley - cheers I did it all thanks to copying others and pure random button pressing!

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 4

I think it's just my of Edgbaston that's red lit. People at work keep going "you live north of the Hagley Road?!smiley - laugh". I'm not used to this. The most crime we ever had in our village was when someone stole my mother's hanging baskets (a hanging offence to her). I have to say I've heard of aston in such phrases as "oh my god, you're not going to live in Aston are you?". Are you a student type then?

Me? I'm training to be a Patent Attorney. It's (mostly) dead cool. Lots of new inventions and time to have many cups of smiley - tea (i definately approve of any website with a tea tag smiley - smiley). And also, flexitime is definately due a lot of respect...

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 5

The conversations with the references to Aston were spoken by wise people who value their possesions/safety etc....
Although this isn't exactly the 'nicest' place to live, I think I'd go nuts if I lived in a two-bit town...I need to know that a 24 hour supermarket is near by, or that the bus runs more than once a day.

I have to be honest and admit to not really knowing your side of town very well, other than I got lost there once (when I was about 14), I phoned my dad to pick me up and he nearly had a nervous breakdown when I told him where I was....smiley - laugh I was somehwere near the Hagley Road.

I'm not at all studenty. (Isn't clever enough) smiley - doh I'm not too near the University or anything I live near the eyesore that is known as Spaghetti Junction (I think they just got some kid to do one of those scribble drawings, to design it).

And as if we haven't got enough to be miserable about here...we've only got the 2nd worst accent in the UK. 'We wanna bee a bull to injoy the gardun' (2nd only to those from the black country).

I have to agree with you about the smileys on this site..tea, aliens, fish etc. fandabbidocious© if you ask me.

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 6

I'm too much a village person (ahem, not like that) to get too used to the big city. Yes, the 24 hours tescos is all well and good (not that i'd want to venture down there after dark) but it takes so long to get out of Birmingham it's a bit claustrophobic. I need hills and sheep. Or at least something pretty to look at and possibly green.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 7

You mean you haven't managed to spot the bits of greenery the council puts here there and everywhere? I'm sure if you pay attention you'll see lots of grass by the roadside...and where you are they have those lovely flower boxes along the roadside..smiley - laugh

I don't think I'd want to go shopping in the middle of the night, I just need to know that I can.

So have you sampled any of the nightlife yet? And I don't mean the kind that's on offer near to where you live smiley - winkeye

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 8

Not yet. Am still a little nervous, especially if I were to go out on my own. But I'm being taken out a bit this week. Should be interesting. Can you recommend anywhere?

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 9

Well it depends on what you're into really. What kind of thing do you have in mind? Are you after a music club.. general entertainment?

I tend to avoid town as a nightlife option, I'm not keen on the whole 'cattle market' thing, but if tart spotting is what you want then I can think of no better place to look smiley - biggrin

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 10

Bit after the event now really, aren't i? Do you know of any indie musicy places? I'm missing my pet club from cambridge. it was dead cute...

And I've enough tart spotting living where I do, perhaps I'll give the centre of town a miss smiley - winkeye...

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 11

Hey hey, I get the distinct impression someone was a bit chipper when they scribed their last message smiley - winkeye

Mmmm...Indie clubs...Not off the top of my head, I can ask for you though.

So what's this Keeper business then? smiley - biggrin I was really confused just (easily done I know), I couldn't think of what your name was prior to you becomming a keeper. Just wondering but, should you not have the '5x7' in brackets? smiley - huh

*Sneaks up and stomps on a muffin whilst your back's turned* smiley - laugh

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 12

I get days like that, when I suddenly go really happy for no good reason. Today though, i seem to be on the downside smiley - sadface. Standard "argh, i have no love life" rant, so arguably for no good reason either *halfhearted smiley - winkeye*

I have to say the nickname is completely made up - I'm a Yorkshire boy born and bred and it just sort of sprang to mind. Muffins are cool, and you're a bad person for squishing them smiley - steam!
I used to be Harris, cos that's what a lot of people call me (it's my surname), but then i decided i needed something more interesting and less obviously me.

Oh, and multiplication's got higher priority than addition, so you don't /really/ need them. but it might be nice.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 13

Ahh... I see, well maths isn't my forte either (God! Is there nothing she isn't clueless about)...

I have days like that too, although I couldn't really say why some mornings I wake up in such a good mood I can't stand it, and I shouldn't do that either as it really unnerves the boy smiley - biggrin

Muffins are only acceptable if they come in the 'Boots - Black forest' variety......Mmmmmmmmmm *Does Homer Simpson style drool*

So you mean to tell me you've added the title of Keeper to your name without actually requesting to become a Keeper?!? *Feigns shock, horror* Well, I'm off to inform the keeper page smiley - winkeye
I think I've altered my name about 5 or 6 times now, although it's always contained the 3 of 8 bit.

Our thoughts are one.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 14

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

Hi all, why don't you visit Sutton. In the park there is plenty of space and lovely scenery also usually cattle, but not so sure now due to F&M.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 15

Ha! The keepers didn't care, *and* gave me a cup of smiley - tea! Aren't they lovely?

Talking of mornings today, i think i left my brian at home. I didn't actually manage to think until about 10:30am...

oh, and sorry if i've taken aaaaaaaaaaages to reply, for some reason despite not having that much on i seem to be dead busy. which is confusing.

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 16

Cool... I'll have to toddle over there one day. Haven't quite worked out what's where yet. It's all too big!

*is a very confused country boy*

What's wrong with Brum?

Post 17

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

never mind

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The keeper of all things Yorkshire and defender of muffins (1x(8-3)+5x7+2)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more