This is the Message Centre for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Growing and changing

Post 1

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Little smiley - fish is 12 today and has had his first day at his new secondary school. Smart new uniform, getting used to going on the bus and handling the fingerprint dinner money system - totally confused me - I'm used to paying half a term at a time. I think it's priced per item, so I need to agree some clear rules with him.

He's just completed four weeks of plays - mostly musicals - during the summer holidays and I've signed him up for a term of musical theatre on Monday evenings. He'll get tuition to help his singing as well as his acting. He thinks he can sing; he can't (OK he can hold a tune, but it tends to slip away, I think because he doesn't concentrate) and the tutor says he can help him overcome his nasality.

I've fixed an appointment with the doctor on Friday so that we can look at his weight. I think he's overweight for his size now and he seems always hungry. I thought I'd get some guidance about my own at the same time.

I came across a very useful model of parenting based on Adlerian principles - Jane Nelson's 'Positive Parenting' and I'm reading up about it. I have great hopes that it will prove to be really useful.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Growing and changing

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Little smiley - fish went on his own and came back on the bus today. I took him as far as the bus stop and he didn't want to get on the bus - and it was *really* crowded. I knew he'd be fine. He was really proud of himself coming back all on his own. smiley - applause

Growing and changing

Post 3

websailor

Oh, that takes me back smiley - smiley I can't believe how long ago it was though smiley - doh

He's really growing up now isn't he?

smiley - hug

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Growing and changing

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Websailor,

Yes, he really is growing. Today he came back home on his own and I wasn't there! I did ring him from work to make sure that he got home safely and I came home early. It is helping that he has to be in school by 8.30am, so it means I can be in work just after 8am myself. I don't mind that. In general it's quieter in the early morning so I can get more done.

Tonight he had a friend come home after the musical theatre class. His friend also plays a couple of instruments and does ballet at the same place. Boys ballet is quite physically demanding. I can't see little smiley - fish doing it though! They played star wars stuff and Yu-gi-oh (I think that's how it's spelled!). He will go to stay with his friend's mum after class next Monday, so that's quite nice.

Growing and changing

Post 5

frenchbean

What a huge step - for both of you smiley - smiley How fast they (we?) grow up (no, never - not me smiley - laugh).

Ballet might help little smiley - fish with his weight?

I'm delighted he's making friends and finding his feet. Great mothering, ZSF smiley - applause

smiley - hug
Fb

Growing and changing

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I've just come home to find him not here! Mild panic. I'm about to phone the school.

Growing and changing

Post 7

You can call me TC

... and I was just going to say it all sounds quite normal and I'm sure he'll grow up in leaps and bounds before your very eyes.

Crisis over now?

Growing and changing

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, smiley - sorry, I did mean to post. About half a minute after I posted there was a knock at the door. He'd gone past his stop on the bus and got lost! Poor thing - he said he was helped by a 'kind stranger' - you hear awful things about strangers, but I know that most of them are kind. So - thank you kind stranger, whoever you are!

Yesterday he lost his keys - I'm sure they're in the house, however they will be expensive to replace. Roy lost his keys and it cost £9 to replace them!

Growing and changing

Post 9

websailor

smiley - dontpanic Easier said than done I know, but things will settle down soon.

I hope you get his weight and hunger sorted out. Perhaps the 'hunger' is comfort eating at a stressful time. He will also be using a lot more energy at his new school, and travelling on his own (both physical and emotional) and perhaps that will settle too.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Growing and changing

Post 10

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Hmm. Keys. That's why when Uvula and Shnooks were around I always kept a master set and only handed out the copies.

Humans. The tool-losing animal.

Did I tell you about when Uvula lost Shnooks phone at a Renn Fest last year and it cost me $140.00 to replace it, even though I'd gotten all our phones before and since for free?

Growing and changing

Post 11

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Websailor,

'Perhaps the 'hunger' is comfort eating at a stressful time.' Yes it might be. The doctor said he was only 4lb overweight and that it wasn't much to worry about, although it would be good to give him slighly less to eat. The day before yesterday, he was throwing up violently just after he'd gone to bed, and this continued throughout the morning too. I was told there was a lot of it about, and it did occur to me that there might be an anxiety component to it.

smiley - erm Tonsil - why did it cost £140 for the replacement phone then, but not before or since?

Growing and changing

Post 12

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Because it was a replacement and I didn't want to initiate a new plan at the time. The free ones I get when I sign a new plan are part of the incentive.

Growing and changing

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Aha!

Little smiley - fish's keys turned up in his bedroom on his desk! smiley - biggrin Hopefully the fright he got will mean he takes more care of them in the future. Roys keys haven't turned up though.

Growing and changing

Post 14

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

That reminds me, I have to make a set of keys for a co-worker.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more