This is the Message Centre for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

More disruption

Post 21

websailor

ZSF, Hope you have a good Mothers Day.

Frenchbean is right, there are some wonderful meditation and relaxation tapes and CDs around.

smiley - musicalnote Music means everything to me, and as you play the trumpet it obviously does to you too. Try it, I am sure it will help.

*waves* to Frenchbean. How nice to interrupt your holiday to post to ZSF smiley - smiley

Take care and smiley - goodluck

Websailorsmiley - dragon

More disruption

Post 22

Ladye_Seagull

So far Mother's Day has been lovely.smiley - love

Loving wishes to everyone on this conversation smiley - hug

*waves to Frenchbean as well smiley - biggrin

More disruption

Post 23

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Thank you Fbsmiley - star - I do appreciate it. I usually do put meditation tapes or music on at bedtime and I find it helpful, but I can't when Roy is around. He objects.

Little smiley - fish is perfectly settled now. Thankfully once he's over the difficult feelings, he's his old self again. However when he gets himself into these states, it's difficult to get through to him. It's as though there's a frightened animal inside there, whimpering, that needs to be left alone, otherwise he gets desperate. I don't know if I can find a way to help him cope - I can only do my best.

When we were explaining to him today that people who react badly most often do that because of how they were brought up and asked who was to blame, he said 'their parent' parents' parent' parents.' Very wise.

Hi Websailor smiley - dragon - I'm not sure either Roy or little smiley - fish know anything about Mother's Day. I usually get a card, but not today. We did go out for a nice brunch and then went looking at DIY places for a sink and tiles. Came away with ideas for the future, but there was some bad news - there's a window in little smiley - fish's room that has a dicky window and he leaned against it and the bottom of the window has come adrift, so that really needs sorting out, which might mean other plans go on hold for a while.

Still no trumpet practice today, but I did put my music in order. I put it in a ring binder with presentation pockets, which works very well. Roy's idea.

Glad you're having a good Mother's Day, LS. I hope the rest was good too.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

More disruption

Post 24

websailor

Hi, smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

On Sunday my younger son was talking about friends of his who have two small sons, both with Asperger's Syndrome and other problems too. My sons spends a lot of time with them as the mother has a condition which lays her very low from time to time. He mentioned their behaviour and it was s o similar to some of the problems you are faced with, though I think yours are less serious.

Anyway the upshot of the conversation was that there is a charity which helps people in these situations:

http://www.bibic.org.uk/index.html

They cover a range of conditions which have symptoms in common. Now, I am sure your reaction is that you don't need help, and certainly not that kind, but I think it might be worth you looking at it, and saving the site, as there may be information available which might help.

My son has told me a lot about these children, who are bright and lovely, and I know he thinks the world of them.

I hope all goes well back at school and that he has settled again.

smiley - goodlucksmiley - hug

Websailorsmiley - dragon

More disruption

Post 25

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Thank you Websailorsmiley - dragon

That is most kind. I've got the workshop for ASD children tomorrow, which I'm told will shed light on little smiley - fish's behaviour. I did discuss strategies to help him with his school, but I'm not aware whether they have put any of them into practice. There is an inset day next Monday (I think), so I will have the opportunity of discussing it with his teacher there.

I spoke with the After School playleader today. She was most sympathetic and said that 'We all go off on one at some time' and expressed sympathy that he might be worried about moving schools. I'm sure it's an issue for him; he doesn't like change. He's worried about whether he will make new friends and that's understandable.

The ASD workshop

Post 26

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Well, I've now been to the workshop. There were about 10 parents there. We all said something about our respective children and the youngest was 5 and mine was the oldest. It appeared to me that little smiley - fish's problems aren't as severe as most of the other children. I think they're all boys.

One of the common problems that emerged was that parents weren't kept informed as to what was going on regarding their children and most felt that they weren't properly supported. Some of what the others said rang bells for me (difficulty getting homework done and difficulty getting the child ready for school in the morning).

What has emerged are a couple of themes that the woman running the workshop will run fresh workshops on. These include:

* giving visual instructions/guidance (using pictures rather than words),
* helping with social situations - eg joining in games and
* personal organisation.

The next one will be after Easter - perhaps in May.

The idea is that parents can support each other. The parents I met there were really nice.

I'm quietly hopeful.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more