This is the Message Centre for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 1

NPY

smiley - wow

Sounds like it would be fun to do anyway, even if you didn't get to the top. What was it like?

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

It was a long haul - three days up, two days down. Because I was so dehydrated, they were worried I wasn't going to make it down in two days - but I did! smiley - biggrin Those who made it to the top got a crown of everlasting flowers, those who didn't got posies, so I got a posy. The view from the top hut was brilliant, particularly the sunrises/sunsets. It got colder and colder as we climbed higher, though.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 3

NPY

Sounds amazing. Though I'm not a big fan off the cold.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, you start in the tropics in shorts and end up wearing as many pairs of long trousers as you can comfortably get on. A wonderful experience, though - you go through some amazing vegetation changes - including giant lobelia! http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/kilimanjaro/gilobelia256.html

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 5

NPY

That is one weird plant. If I get the chance I'll have to go.

So what made you decide to go try it?

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I got lucky - I gor a scholarship to go to Tanzania with the Experiment in International Living, so I got to go for six weeks and we got the chance to go up Kilimanjaro whilst doing a two week work camp.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 7

NPY

smiley - whistle That was lucky. I've heard it can cost you thousands to do something like that.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I investigated going back some years ago - then (and I think this was about 10 years ago) the cost was £1,500 which included flights there and back and a four or five day trek up and down Kilimanjaro. you could go on safari, but that was extra. In our six weeks, we went to Lake Manyara and saw lions slouching around in the trees and vast amounts of flamingoes, and also on a visit to the Ngorongoro chaldera, which was fabulous. I'm just trying to remember where it was I saw the man with the tin of pineapple jam in his ear. That was an amazing sight, although we were told not to take photos of people as they could get very cross, so the only evidence of this is in my head.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 9

NPY

Pinapple jam in his ear? Weird. I do beieve you, but it doesn't sound very nice.

It all sounds pretty spectacular. Think I heard bout the photo thing. And I thought people here were camera-shy! Better not to annoy the locals though.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 10

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I always wondered whether the tin was empty or not. If it was full, it would have been very heavy! I always assumed it must be empty.

I was told that people needed to be asked permission to photograph them and that often they would demand payment. At 19 I was shy of approaching people and I certainly didn't want them to be angry with them. I was also told that some were afraid that a photograph stole their soul. I've no idea whether that was true or not.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 11

NPY

I think I've heard about the thing of photos steaaling their soul too. Not sure what the truth in it is, but it's bvetter to avoid ticking people off or have them fearing for their eternal welfare.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 12

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, not ticking them off was probably my main concern. There were a photos I took (not really of people) that I was *really* careful not to be observed - a photo of the market, for instance. Fruit and vegetables were piled up on mats in pyramids - totally unlike the market stalls I'm used to.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 13

NPY

Yes, that doesn't sound much like markets around here.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 14

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Actually, some of the fruit and veg markets here have rather nicer displays these days - but I think the weather is too dodgy to have produced stacked on the ground. I can't imagine shoppers bending down to examine it, either!

Mount Kilimanjaro

Post 15

NPY

Oh no, not in the mud and the rubbish that you get on the streets here. I think people would be a bit suspicious about dogs and rats and stuff too.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more