This is the Message Centre for Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

What's wrong with my life - a 'short' extract from my coursework

Post 1

Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

ICT in the Modern World

ICT has, and probably will continue to have, an enormous influence on society. Life without ICT would be similar to the time of the industrial revolution, with all major industry being done by manual labour or with mechanical devices that need constant attention. With ICT, much industry can be automated, and safety systems can be much more sophisticated, activating themselves to prevent injury. This does not, however, reduce the need for human involvement. People are still needed to ensure that the automated systems are running correctly, and that certain raw materials go into the industrial process. The automation of industry has not reduced the number of jobs; it has actually increased it. As the systems for industrial processes become more advanced, more people are required to build them. As more systems become automated, more people are required to write the programs behind them, and more people are required to maintain them.

Socially, ICT has brought many advances in communications. It is now possible for two people standing on opposite sides of the world to have a conversation. Messages can be sent via landline telephones, mobile telephones, satellite telephones, SMS text messaging, email, over the Internet in chat rooms, or by video conferencing. All of these methods have their specific characteristics that mean they are chosen for certain situations. ICT has also increased access to information for many. The Internet provides a means of research as well as a means of communication. Both adults and children can also use the Internet to learn from, and then receive qualifications. It is also possible to use the Internet for shopping, and anything from groceries to holidays can be bought online. Alongside television and radio, the Internet can also be used for entertainment, with podcasts and film downloads becoming ever more popular. People can also use the Internet to ‘telecommute’. This allows people to work from home. It is, in theory possible to live your entire life indoors, working, communicating and shopping over the Internet.

ICT is has also made incredible advances in policing. Information about known criminals and offences is now stored on a national database, and this information can be accessed from any police station in the United Kingdom. Computers are used for fingerprint identification, and DNA profiling. Closed circuit television (CCTV) is now used to deter crime, and to track criminal’s movements.

Computers have proved themselves invaluable in the world of medicine as well. Without ICT, advances in the treatment to terminal illnesses would not have been made. The development of new drugs and new operating techniques would not have been possible. The use of ICT has saved many lives and improved the quality of many more. However, not all advancements in the world of medicine are so good. ICT has allowed scientists to alter or replace DNA. Many people feel that genetic engineering is wrong and should not be allowed, and at the moment it is illegal in most countries.

Many people have found that computers and computer systems, such as the one I have created, greatly reduce the amount of work that has to be done. I feel ICT has had an incredible impact on the world, and that my system would function well for the small company that it was designed for. I think that it could be very easily used by any small travel agency, and could be easily adapted for other businesses.

smiley - sadface

If you think it's bad reading, imagine what it was like to write. And that is just part of the coursework.smiley - wah

Post 2

starfish_with_legs

why?

why would you do that to me?

Post 3

Ryan the Daemon Prince - Dealing Arms to Svalbard Since 1995

Depressing, ain't it?

Post 4

Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

And it turned out I didn't need it as a lump of text. I had to take the whole thing and turn it into a powerpoint.

Post 5

WHAT? How are we going to put this kinda thing on a Power Point, then put it on a Word/Publication document?

This is all too much fsmiley - bleepin' effort! It better be fsmiley - bleepin' worth it!

Post 6

The whole point of public education is to ruin your soul.

Just give in now.

Post 7

So, how do we actually do that?

Post 8

starfish_with_legs

You don't you just ignore the fact that you have course work to do until after it's due in?! worked for me.

Post 9

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Year 11 will be hell!

Post 10

Year 13 is going to be worse (for those of us doing three sciences and maths).

Post 11

Woo-hoo!

Key: Complain about this post