A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 1

Pirate Alexander LeGray

The fastest growing worm ever, attacking systems running microsoft server,(exact details on the web) is not a file worm, exploiting overflow features to run its' dastardly code.

Where did I read that you couldn't get a virus if you follow sensible advice like; don't open unfamiliar attachments.smiley - biggrin

I don't run a server, but it didn't stop it from trying to infect my pcsmiley - erm

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 2

Pirate Alexander LeGray

Got another one a minute ago, tell me my pc isn't targeted. Hey it couldn't be those thicko's in the security services, because they did label me a commie, even though I hate communism, and political extremism of all kinds.smiley - sillysmiley - bigeyes

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 3

HappyDude

*is so happy he does not run MS software*

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 4

Pirate Alexander LeGray

I think this thing shut down Houston, do they run MSsmiley - silly

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 5

HappyDude

It's not Houston but http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html might be of interest...

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 6

Pirate Alexander LeGray

Linux, my web page is on a linux server, well my theory that nothings free and I was probably getting the trojans from my web host is shot out the window.

Redhat, do they do a browser? Well anyway their security running windows was down, probably due to helkern, which incidently I got attacked by again a few minutes ago.

The worst thing though is my security detected three trojans called antispyware.b I accidently installed because they said they were high priority windows security updates, so I selected delete and get back the message they can no longer be found, system still infected.smiley - erm

Helkern 375Bytes

Post 7

HappyDude

"Redhat, do they do a browser?"
Just Operating Systems, they do that quite well with a revenue figure of $141.5m for the first quarter of this year (up 27% on last year - call this the Windows Vista effect smiley - winkeye).

"well my theory that nothings free and I was probably getting the trojans from my web host is shot out the window"
It's pretty hard to include malicious code in software when the code is available for public scrutiny - that said once installed Linux is not invulnerable and so the installation and proper use of a good Firewall is a must. I chose a web-host that runs Dec Alpha's servers and the NetBSD operating system (security through obscurity).

At home - my PC's run Debian testing.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more