A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

Tree based editor...

Post 1

I'm after a simple text editor which keeps a tree view of directories/files in a pane, so you can easily make modifications to a whole load of files...

Think Windows Explorer with a third pane which is a text editor...

Does anyone know of any?

Alternatively, a tree-based file manager for Java would be pretty easy to modify to do what I want... but I've been completely unable to find one of those, either.

Anyone? smiley - erm

(oh, and I'm running Linux here)

Tree based editor...

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Pencil and paper are both tree-based... smiley - nahnah

Tree based editor...

Post 3

smiley - tongueout

The most relevant page I found for a java file manager is one setting it as a homework assignment smiley - headhurts... it's really not that hard, I guess, but I have absolutely no desire to devote three or four hours to it.

Tree based editor...

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Seriously, the product that comes to mind is "Norton Commander", a piece of "abandonware" (unsupported by the original authors and not mentioned on their website) - what you want is the Linux clone which, I'm pretty sure, was called "Midnight Commander". I can't remember if it was freeware or shareware, but it was supplied as standard on many text-based distros such as Ygddrasil. smiley - geek

Tree based editor...

Post 5

(Check your hdd for a file called "MC.COM" - it may have been installed as part of your standard package. Or just type "MC" from a command prompt and see what happens... It's text only, but will run inside a window in X.)

Tree based editor...

Post 6

Hmm, yus, I have Midnight Commander... not to worry, though, I just wrote a Java one smiley - smiley

I have yet to learn to enjoy wrestling with their APIs smiley - headhurts, but it gets things done in the end...

Tree based editor...

Post 7

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

can't you just use konqueror? or somthing similiar?

-- DoctorMO --

Tree based editor...

Post 8

Does it have a text editor built in?...

I use gnome, anyway -- but not nautilus. I've found it to be far too slow, and the tree-view is also rather poor... I haven't quite worked out what's wrong with it, but I didn't find it usable. Konqueror may be better...

Tree based editor...

Post 9

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

What I'd do is use a split screen with one of them being a text editor one is the folder and then you just have the tree menu.

-- DoctorMO --

Key: Complain about this post