A Conversation for Carl Gustav Jung: His Life and Work

A600643 - CG Jung: His Life and Work

Post 1

Zaphod II

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A600643

This entry is self-explanatory. Being somewhat lengthy, it plots (with biographical details) the stages of Jung's personal and professional development, attempting to outline the main influences operating in his life. Against Jung's huge volume of works, and his long life, I have tried to distil the essential details and, where possible, interweave events in his life with the development of his psychological concepts and key works. Hopefully, this entry will be a good introduction to those interested in Jung, perhaps dispel a few myths about him, and reinforce his reputation as 'master physician of the human soul.'
This entry is companion to another (soon to be posted) entry on Jung's model of the psyche (A604009), providing a guide and overview to Jung's main psychological concepts and theories - including the contents of the personal and collective unconscious (shadow, persona, the anima and animus, complexes, archetypes, dreams, etc.).

Post 2

taliesin

My goodness. Quite.. long. smiley - online2long Looks good, though, and I will read it thoroughly - offline smiley - winkeye

In my initial scan I noticed one trivial thing you might change - you mentioned that Carl heated his tower with a 'wooden heated' stove. You could simply say, 'wood stove', or even 'wood-burning stove'

I'll get back to you when I finish reading it...

smiley - cheers

Post 3

Orcus

Hi Zaphod - OK here's the first critic who's actually read it smiley - winkeye

Firstly - take out the font colour in the headers - that's not approved guideML for editied entries and will be removed by the sub-editor anyway smiley - smiley

Parishoners is spelt incorrectly (3rd paragraph - Formative years) and there should be no apostrophe in Doctors.

Footnote 19 - foreword not forward

Hmmm, not much else to find fault with. I must say this is a very well written and highly exhaustive essay. Brilliant. Have you read all of the references you refer to? I must say this article makes me wonder if this was written as an essay for university as it seems in that style.
No matter - brilliant stuff!

Orcus

Post 4

Zaphod II

Thanks for feedback, Orcus. I have now implemented the aforementioned changes. Yes, I have read all the references. In fact, I own all the books from which they are taken. My collection of Jungian books must be 50+, amassed over a 20 year period since entering Jungian analysis. It is difficult to keep pace with all the new Jungian publications and biographies appearing on the market (esp. in the States), so I tend to be quite selective now, plus there is much duplication of material. I attend a local Jungian group which is very active, with visiting speakers every few months or so.
When I noticed there was nothing in the guide on Jung, I thought I'd best put it to rights. There is surprisingly little on Freud, too. I imagine this entry isn't to everyone's taste, especially having entered a post-modern era with all its deconstructions and debunking of famous figures: books by Richard Noll (Jung as self-appointed Aryan Christ and sun-worshipping cult leader) and Jeffrey Masson (Jung as Nazi-sympathiser) being points in case. Perhaps a critique entry will follow, who knows.
Regards,
Zaphod

Post 5

Secludo Bogaloff-Biscuitbarrel from the Elastaplast Tribe

An exhaustive, but carefully woven account, indeed! It filled alot of gaps in my present knowledge about this great man of psychology. I highly recommend this entry smiley - ok.

Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Carl Gustav Jung: His Life and Work '.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

really?

Post 7

Orko

are you really Jungians? do you beleive his theory to be correct? thats very interesting, I thougt all psycoanalytic theory based on repression (which is all of them) had been effectively killed by Colin McGinn......have you read any of his articles? Does Jung explain the mechanisms of reppression anywhere? Does reppression work? how?

answers!! i demand answers!

not really.......

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Carl Gustav Jung: His Life and Work

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more