A Conversation for How to Work for The Queen of the United Kingdom

another palace job

Post 1

Woman with a stick (called Stick) [Muse of Rich people}

I heard that Prince Edward and Sophie (Countess or Duchess or whatever) are on strike because they only get £141,000 a year to open things etc.

I reckon my husband and I could do that - I don't normally agree with strike-breaking but I could make an exception here.

C.V. Good at pratting about, having free dinners and opening things. Can shake hands with oiks.

Where do I apply?

Oik

Post 2

Sea Change

I have never heard the word 'oik' outside of a comic strip called "Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist". I thought it was just a word invented by Diane DiMassa to describe someone who deserved to get sliced in half by a chainsaw, castrated, or penetrated by an antitank missile launcher. Or worse.

Please Ms Stick, what does 'oik' actually mean?

Oik

Post 3

Woman with a stick (called Stick) [Muse of Rich people}

Riff-raff, disreputable member of the public, working class, scruffy person etc. or in the case of the royal family anyone without aristocratic blood - ie. me and (probably) you.

Does this help smiley - biggrin

Oik

Post 4

Sea Change

If one is well dressed, never overtly pays for anything, and can fake a plummy accent, is one an oik of lesser degree, is one different enough in kind to be called 'parvenu' or 'new money'?

another palace job

Post 5

iainturnbull

It's an inherited position I'm afraid.

another palace job

Post 6

Sea Change

Wow, a revived 5 year-old conversation! This is what I get for never unsubscribing from anything.

Oikage is hereditary position, or aristocracy is, or both?

another palace job

Post 7

iainturnbull

aristocracy

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more