A Conversation for The F***ing Pub (Zaphodista hideout)

no such thing as "stalking" on h2g2 fora

Post 81

Clarke The Cynic -Keeper of all things darned (socks/souls).

I know. I've had a couple of mine removed too. You are now, a man. I think. hehe. Don't pay attention to me.

Post 82

Deidzoeb

Grief,

Maybe they'll say it depends on context in which you used it, but if the single word is the one I think, you might ask the Italics what will happen to these other conversations listed on http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Search?searchstring=ace*****&searchtype=forum&dosearch=Search+the+Conversation+Forums

(This link should show you a search for the word "ace****" in conversation threads. Might turn up more examples if you search for the term as singular without "s" on end. Wondering if this post will be removed similarly, or if I'm using the word in enough of a distant and clinical context. Pretty juvenile to throw around that insult, but some consistency in moderation should not be too much to ask for.)

Post 83

David Conway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F63394?thread=134152&latest=1 There's your context... My post was pulled because I stated that most ACEs did not fall into the category covered by the offending word.

Post 84

Deidzoeb

This reminds me of racist people I know (unfortunately some relatives or in-laws), whites who defend their use of the N-word because "Not all blacks are n*****s." (starred out by me, not by moderators) Quibbling to defend using a word that is inherently insulting.

On the one hand, we don't need Hate Crimes rules to cover the word ACE****s. (Hate Crimes and "freedom from offense" seems to be the mindset of BBC and/or h2g2, the conflict of fluffy atmosphere versus free atmosphere.) On the other hand, is there any way to really defend the use of that word, as if it could be possibly used in a constructive, mature way?

I'd much rather protest for the right of researchers to use other languages or use off-site images, than protest that we need the freedom to call each other "ace****."

Post 85

David Conway

Your time, your call.

BTW, thanks for the link. For the record, as this moment there are a total of 16 posts containing the forbidden word (singular or plural). The most uses by any one person is three. Arpeggio and Orcus, who called it "Arpeggio's best contribution to h2g2 so far."

Post 86

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

You have to admit, it is kind of catchy... smiley - biggrin

Post 87

Clarke The Cynic -Keeper of all things darned (socks/souls).

ace****, ace****. Has a nice sound on the tongue. I didn't even know that made up words could be censored.

Key: Complain about this post