A Conversation for The F***ing Pub (Zaphodista hideout)

h2g2 anti-war group?

Post 1

Deidzoeb

If there is an anti-war group on h2g2, please tell me where I can enlist. If not, what are we waiting for?

Bush says this is going to be a long war, so we might as well get a head start on protesting it. Although it would be good to have a group for researchers of all nations to oppose the war, it would also be nice to identify the subset of American hitchhikers against war. (This would prevent accusations that Brits and European hitchhikers are the only ones opposing America's latest war.)

Somebody else will have to take charge of leading and publicizing this group, though, because I keep coming up with lousy acronyms like American Hitchhikers Against War (AHAW?) or Researchers Against War (RAW, too easily confused with that wrestling show) or Researchers Opposed to War (ROW?).

Not sure if a lot of people would be interested in joining this kind of group, but it's nice to see a few already speaking against war on h2g2. Especially when current polls claim 90% of Americans would support a war right now. My local supermarket is playing "God Bless America" and "This Land Is Your Land" over their PA system, which they don't even do on July 4th. It would be nice to know some other Americans don't buy into the idea that further bloodshed will bring justice.

Wouldn't it be ironic to start protesting this war before our selected president has even announced exactly who we're at war with? Wouldn't it be ironic if the leader of a nation announced that troops were being mobilized for a war, but didn't mention exactly which nation(s) we're at war with? Is it just me, or does anyone else out there find it the teeniest bit odd? Hello? Is anybody out there?


h2g2 anti-war group?

Post 2

Martin Harper

nod.
Though judging from the papers, it's more likely to be NATO's war than purely the USA's... *crossed fingers* for my father...


h2g2 anti-war group?

Post 3

purplejenny

NATOs war untill a few months down the line the consensus breaks... then eventually just the good ole folks and probably the UK Air Force bombing and bombing, covert (ie illegal) operations, rewriting the rules of war, without getting too much attention or criticism. Until the next terror attack... Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to ID cards in the UK, further state surveilence of communication and political groups and otherwise more of the same only worse. smiley - sadface Bummer.

Anyway, theres the beginnings of an anti war group here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A633331 Comments?

And I'll have a smiley - ale

purplejenny


h2g2 anti-war group?

Post 4

Deidzoeb

Thanks, pj. I'll start publicizing and trying to recruit. See ya later.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more