A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

chutneys

Post 1

lapointe

I have just made a green tomato with apple chutney-from the bbc recipe its is very spoonable!
I also made a red tomato chutney-same recipe-very pourable!! any suggestions to bulk it up prior to bottling?

chutneys

Post 2

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Hi there and welcome to h2g2!

I've never made a chutney for myself as much as I love them. I good place for your question would be <./>Askh2g2</.> if it was a recipe from h2g2 guide pages then the author may be available for comment too.

chutneys

Post 3

oatcakepatti

When I make chutneys I usually thicken with a cornflour paste and cook out for 2 mins. OR cook for longer with no lid on to reduce the liquid.

chutneys

Post 4

zendevil

Oddly enough, i also made green tomato chutney in the last few days; my recipe was:

2lb apples (peel, core, slice)
4lb green toms, slice
1lb onions, slice
1 level TBS salt
1 to 1/2 pts vinegar (i live in France, i cheated & used half Bordeaux wine that had hung around a bit to long!)smiley - winkeye
1 levellish teaspoon ginger (ground or powder)
1 lb sugar
smidgin of chopped chili

I let it fester slowly for a couple of days in a very heavy covered pan, then tasted, adjusted spices, salt, sugar, festered it another day, then whizzed it a bit in blender & decanted into sterilised jars. Hopefully i may sell some at the Xmas Market, if not & Les Frogs run screaming; i have El cheapo Branston type pickle for meself!smiley - evilgrin for meself!

Shazz is the expert on pickling stuff; hang on, i will post her link...

zdt

chutneys

Post 5

zendevil

Shazz (who is also involved with smiley - thepost) can be found at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A655535

zdt (do say i sent you!)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more