A Conversation for Danny Elfman - Film Composer

Steve Bartek

Post 1

Jim Lynn

Doesn't Steve Bartek do most of the work in Elfman's scores? He's his principal orchestrator, and a lot of people suggest he's more responsible for Elfman's distinctive sounds than Elfman himself.

Steve Bartek

Post 2

Amanda

That is an interesting point. Though Danny Elfman did the majority of writing through the years with the group (both lyrically and musically), Steve Bartek did a good deal of scoring and arranging, particularly horn arangements. When it came down to composing and producing film scores, they worked in the same facets as a writer/arranger team. A really great article on the subject can be found here: http://www.boingo.com/articles/FSMBartek.html Bartek has never been the "vocal" one of the group, so it was easy for speculation to take over in some cases. But it's an interesting read, nonetheless, and sets some facts straight on the subject.

Steve Bartek

Post 3

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Thanks Amanda - it's a great read! It broke my heart the day that someone told me that Steve did most of the work, not Danny. I'm glad to read that it's more complex than that.

It also mad me sad when Oingo broke up. smiley - sadface Oh well, at least they left us a wonderful farewell concert on Halloween........

Steve Bartek

Post 4

Amanda

I know, I know! smiley - sadface And me without ever having seen them in concert...

...But I have the Farewell video as a consolation prize! Glad to know there are more of us out there. 12 step program, anyone? smiley - winkeye

Steve Bartek

Post 5

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Sadly, I also missed out on seeing them live, but the concert video is just great. Especially the first part showing the early history of the band. Weird weird weird!

Steve Bartek

Post 6

Amanda

*Hurries off to work on that Guide entry she promised!!* smiley - winkeye Weird, indeed! I'm almost sure that's why I like 'em so...

Steve Bartek

Post 7

HFloyd

wow, i didn´t knwo about Bartek doing a lot of the stuff. In Germany nobody really knows about them and just laughs at the name. I also never really considered them _that_ weird but very much on the point about many things. I also think that songs liek dead man´s party or Weird Science (love the movie by the by, see it about 30 times) are good but by no means their best. Wonder why those songs in particular made it so big. Does anyone know if there is a studio version of Violent Love out there? I only knwo the one on Boingo Alive. That's all.

- Holger

Thread Moved

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Danny Elfman - Musician' to 'Danny Elfman - Film Composer'.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more