This is the Message Centre for Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

Random Hello

Post 1641

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

Point.smiley - erm

*can't think of anything much to say*

Random Hello

Post 1642

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

les...? yes.

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1643

Here's a question: How would you go about explaining to someone why you can't divide by zero?

Random Hello

Post 1644

n/0 = Err or Negitive Infinity,

It's like saying there is a pie, but nobody wants a pice. how much have people got, well none, but the pie, it still exists. big problem, because if the pie can't be shared to people (because there is no people who want some), how can you say how much people have?

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1645

That could work. Although now the TiP('theta is possible) society thingy is dispersed... it was all about 'theta', this number you get when you divide by zero. Like i, only worse. TiNP('theta is NOT possible') sprung up to counter it, and in a few days there were no more members of TiP, so not much point in having TiNP anymore...

This bizzare little incident(at school... not the one I go to, I sort of assisstant coach there Fridays, for this math thing) caused someone to ask why, exactly, you can't /0 and I didn't have a really satisfactory way of putting it. Now, maybe...

Random Hello

Post 1646

So I helped or was I just confusing? I hope it makes sense (it does to me, but then lots of things make sense to me and not so much to others)

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1647

Oh, I understand well enough why it is you can't do that, but explaining's a different thing. It'll probably do nicely.smiley - smiley

Random Hello

Post 1648

Thats good... tell me how it goes then...

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1649

Not sure it'll come up again, now that both groups have more or less faded away, but if it does...

Random Hello

Post 1650

Ah OK then.

-- DoctorMO smiley - cry

Random Hello

Post 1651

It was more of a 'for future reference' or a 'just out of curiosity' really...smiley - blue

Random Hello

Post 1652

Ah OK, any information you need on quantom mecanics or future prospecting of optical technolegy?

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1653

em's

why you can't divide by zero hmmmmmmm cos zero is nil nothing sweet F.A means jack s**t to most people so at the end of the day whats the point....

Random Hello

Post 1654

It's a problem because if somthing is solvable by an equation, like say a new technolegy, if the equation boils down to x/0 your bivered. An anwser can't be zero, as the quatity still exists and wouldn't have been shared out.

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1655

Hum... maybe 'Division is splitting a number x up into n pieces, x/n, if n is 0 then you don't have anywhere to put x.' Maybe I can intorduce the topic into casual conversation...smiley - tongueout

em's, all math is interconnected in a Dirk Gentlyesque way. It's all important.

Random Hello

Post 1656

at least x/n isn't 42.

we'd have a riot.

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1657

And probably a cult over it.

Random Hello

Post 1658

It'd be like POTA.

-- DoctorMO --

Random Hello

Post 1659

What's that stand for?

Random Hello

Post 1660

Power over the ainal. I think...

-- DoctorMO --

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more