This is the Message Centre for Ste

Contacts

Post 1

Ste

I just got contact lenses for the first time.

I'm in the car. I can see everything prefectly clearly, I'm driving, BUT I HAVEN'T GOT MY GLASSES ON. F*ckin marvellous. Amazing. I am one very happy Ste. smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - earth

PS My eyes hurt.

Contacts

Post 2

Rik Bailey

Good for you. Make sure you take care of them don't want to see you get ant eye diseases.
I know what you mean by seeing everything as I wear glasses, never had the time to get contacts though.
Adib

Contacts

Post 3

Jordan

I want contacts! No fair!

How much do they cost? smiley - huh

- Jordan

Contacts

Post 4

Ste

I'm wearing them for the first time at work today.

Um, I have pretty good vision insurance, so it cost me $25 for a six month supply (two week disposable soft contacts), plus $10 for the visit to the optician. It would have cost me $185 if I had no insurance.smiley - yikes

Stesmiley - earth

Contacts

Post 5

Jordan

Gosh!

I wonder what it would be like to see uninhibited by glasses...

- Jordan

Contacts

Post 6

Ste

It is very, very strange. When I walk outside at night I always automatically look up at the stars, to see how they look on that night (always been a stargazer). Last night I did my usual and caught myself wearing my contacts and finding the stars to be brilliant pinpricks of light when I had no glasses on! The sky looks different when it isn't framed by your frames.

Doesn't the NHS do anything with contacts?

Stesmiley - earth

Contacts

Post 7

Jordan

Nope, I'm pretty sure they only 'do' glasses, if you get my drift. smiley - sadface

- Jordan

Contacts

Post 8

Ste

That's bloody b*ll*cks that is. smiley - grr

Contacts

Post 9

Jordan

I know. I wanna see stars when I /haven't/ tripped up... smiley - bluesmiley - injured

- Jordan

Contacts

Post 10

hasselfree

Joining the myopia club. smiley - biggrin
Tried contacts years ago, couldn't get over the discomfort.
People kept asking me if i was 'alright' as my eyes watered constantly and I always had a damp hanky in my hand.
Mind you in those days they were chunks of glass.
I couldn't keep my eyes from blinking when trying to put them in, and kept dropping them down the back of the radiator, then I couldn't see them to pick them up.
Lately noticed i couldn't see properly (so many typos !).
Seems my eyes are getting better, but now have to swop glasses to read with ones to drive.
This is known as 'old age'
Tried varifocals...no luck

Contacts

Post 11

Ste

That's an extreme response hass! Blimey. How do you drop contacts down the back of a radiator? smiley - laugh

I keep on forgetting I have them in. If I think about it too much they annoy me. Then, when I do forget I start to rub my eyes then stop in a panic once I remember. I popped the left one out the other day because I rubbed it too hard!

The contacts I have are two week disposable ones. They are like little slivers of clear gel, and they need hardly any cleaning.

smiley - earth

Contacts

Post 12

hasselfree

Ste
The mirror in the bathroom was over a radiator.
when you're myopic, you have to be right up close to the mirror.
The glass contacts were a nightmare.
I know what you mean about rubbing eyes.
I did that and then 'lost' one down bottom eyelid, inside eye.
Arrrgh!
They used to give you a very small 'sink plunger' to put them in. My imagination perceived this as being stuck on my eye if I missed.
and then my eyeball plopping out on my cheek as I pulled.
Actually when I come to think about it, my imagination is a terrible thing.
Last ones I tried were gas permeable, or something, may give these disposables a go, but it was more about vanity for me "boys never makes passes at girls who wear glasses" thing you know smiley - biggrin
(well unless they wore glasses themselves !)
and it's all too horribly late for vanity now, the rot has set in.
This morning I woke up with frizzy hair too, and I'd never had that before

Contacts

Post 13

Ste

TIP:

Never, ever, ever, chop chili peppers for a curry and then try to take your contacts out of your eyes a few hours later. It really, really hurts.

Thank you.

Contacts

Post 14

Jordan

smiley - yuk

- Jordan

Contacts

Post 15

Ste

hass:

Are your contacts solid?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ste

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more