This is the Message Centre for Researcher 178815

Beep-beep!

Post 21

E G Mel

I think you call them Highways, they are roads with 2 lanes in each direction.

Mel smiley - hsif

Beep-beep!

Post 22

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

dual carriage ways are roads seperated in the middle by an island they normally have higher speed limits than normal to way streets and 2 lanes on either side of the divider

Beep-beep!

Post 23

E G Mel

Sorry yes, they are 'Divided Highways' smiley - tongueout

Mel smiley - hsif

Beep-beep!

Post 24

Researcher 178815

Well, an Image Googling for 'dual carriageway +uk' brings up the following:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:zo0PbDzIhj8J:www.abd.org.uk/images/road2-16.gif

and

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-jhLmjE8-OsJ:www.abd.org.uk/images/a45cam2.jpg

Which aren't very good, but think of them like 40mph zones (I'm not sure of the kph conversion) with no opposing traffic flow. Like a motorway/freeway, only there are only two lanes.

However, Google tells me that in the US, they're called 'Divided Highways'. I'm not sure of the Canada situation, but no doubt you'll be slightly more aware of the US definition than the UK one. smiley - oksmiley - smiley

Beep-beep!

Post 25

Arisztid Lugosi

thanks, yeah. thet're divided highways. here where i live we go about 80-90 km/h. i think in the states its much faster.

Beep-beep!

Post 26

Researcher 178815

Ah. I have no idea of the speed conversion. smiley - erm

Oh, and Mel. Not sure how that happened. A three-hour delayed simulpost. smiley - erm Your post wasn't there when I posted, honest. Or at least I didn't see it. smiley - online2long

Beep-beep!

Post 27

E G Mel

80-90Km/hr -> 50-55 miles/hr

40 miles/hr -> 64Km/hr

There are 8km to every 5 miles.

Don't worry about the simulpost, probably some strange caching error.

Mel smiley - hsif

Beep-beep!

Post 28

Researcher 178815

Ah. Makes sense now. smiley - smiley

A caching error? In Opera? smiley - yikes
No chance. smiley - winkeye

Beep-beep!

Post 29

E G Mel

I take it there's nothing extra between you and the internet, like a proxy for example.

Mel smiley - hsif

Beep-beep!

Post 30

Researcher 178815

Oh, nothing at all.

No, nothing. There's not even a me AND the Internet.

I am the Internet.

Beep-beep!

Post 31

soeasilyamused, or sea

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THAT makes sense now. I thought you *were* talking about wildlife! smiley - laugh

We have crosswalk signals... When you're okay to cross, it's a little white walking guy. When you're not supposed to, it turns into a red hand. But people rarely follow them, unless of course there's a policeman around... smiley - winkeye

Beep-beep!

Post 32

Arisztid Lugosi

yah we have those here too!
only where i live you never have enough time to get accross the crosswalk before the hand stops, unless you start out at a dead run and continue that way till the end. i live in a comunity full of seniors, they cross so slow! whats the point ofmaking the signals so fast? i dont know if you know where Vancouver is (its in British Columbia, Canada) but apparently some person was taking too long to crosst the crosswalk and some guy got tired of waiting and he jumped out of his truck and pepper sprayed the person crossing the crosswalk. I know its a terrible thing to happen, but i though it was really funny! well its just so irrational. and i only herd about it i didnt see it...

Beep-beep!

Post 33

Researcher 178815

Oh yeah, sea. How about that British wildlife. smiley - winkeye

And that, I believe, is Road Rage. smiley - erm

Beep-beep!

Post 34

Arisztid Lugosi

yes it probably is road rage. i just cant imagine what would make someone do sometihing like that

Beep-beep!

Post 35

soeasilyamused, or sea

smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Researcher 178815

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more