A Conversation for Goths

nietzsche and goths

Post 1

keledy

how many people in general actually understand nietzsche? (the same might apply to any philosopher/writer) i am in awe of the writings of his that i have read so far, but i am not sure that many would even be able to read/ingest an entire work of his...(are all goths supposed to understand him?)
how is he supposed to relate to goths, or as a slam against the people pretending to be a goth.

what is it/what does it mean to you for someone to be a goth? i believe nietzsche meantions the word goth (as the people..the clan..whatever it is called) and how it is related to the word gottlich (german for godly, divinely) and that the goths called themselves godly incomparision to those who weren't goths (i haven't looked at his works for awhile, but it is when he is tracing the beginning of words, simple seeming words)... very interesting stuff- but is this the relationship to him and goths that you are trying to make?

nietzsche and goths

Post 2

The 1 and only Elkherd

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Nietzsche? What did he write and where could I read and judge something that he has written?

nietzsche

Post 3

keledy

nietzsche is a dead, german philosopher.. (who hilter misquoted in support of naxism- an example of how he can be horribly misunderstood/misquoted)

he can be/is very hard to read- (it is better to have a german language background-imho.. he's more enjoyable than french theory- but then again i don't like french theory very much..) and his writings might take multiple-readings, but his thinking is amazing.

start off with the geneology of morals...
but be careful- he can be dangerous.

i don't think i'm doing him justice- if you like reading philosophy, check him out... but then again i've lent out his writing to people who got lost on the first page... *shrug* his writings are dense- not the best beach fluff reading.

nietzsche

Post 4

The 1 and only Elkherd

Cheers. I did German at school, but I don't think that counts. I'll see what the library has (false hope).

nietzsche

Post 5

keledy

i think he's manditory in most libraries, or atleast in most university libraries....

nietzsche

Post 6

The 1 and only Elkherd

Havn't been able to get to our town library yet. (And it's shut tomorrow). I doubt my school would have anything. It only has old Dr Who novels and books with interesting titles such as 'A very boring guide to cutlery manufacture.'

nietzsche

Post 7

keledy

who wants to read about cutlery?

i hope you are able to find something and enjoy it if you do...
smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more