This is the Message Centre for Fred, the Incontinent Hamster

SAVANNAH

Post 1

Fred, the Incontinent Hamster

I've now been in Savannah for two years. They seemed to fly by reasonably quickly, unlike time in Los Angeles, which dragged on year after year and felt more like decade after decade.

It's an interesting town, and those people who only know it through "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" aren't really getting the full story.

Savannah is cheerfully happy being completely out of the American cultural loop. The best description I can give this town is 'insular' in the best sense of the world.

A good friend told me when I moved here that "You are going to the last original place in America. It has its own culture, its own music, its own dances, its own cuisine, and it will share them but does not really wish to change them."

It's a pleasant place to look at, with inviting squares, a bustling and busy waterfront, a large park, and lots of fine old houses with beautiful gardens. There are also some very run down sections as well but even in the short time I've been here, Broughton Street (the main business stem) has seen a tremendous change in its fortunes and the renovations keep marching South. The town's good fortune is that it is not only a major port, but also the home of a huge art school. The students bring a much needed touch of youth to the downtown; Savannah could easily have remained a haven for rich homes but a shell otherwise.

At any rate, I think that this city deserves an entry in the Guide, so perhaps I'll write one. I wonder, are there any other HGTTG aficionados in the area?

If so, they are invited for drinks on the two terraces...so do write...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Fred, the Incontinent Hamster

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more