A Conversation for The Blasted Heath : A Sanctuary for Challenged Gardeners

Lilac Poisoning

Post 1

LL Waz

Hello Wilf, I don't think we've met, hi smiley - smiley. I read your Calluna entry on Peer Review and came here, saw your gardening club and wanted to ask a question. (I didn't leave a comment on PR as it all read excellently and someone's already said so.)

Do you know if there's any truth in lilac being a 'bad neighbour' plant. What used to be a small veg patch I had is riddled with lilac roots and very little, even weeds, grows there now. I've given up trying veg. I put some raspberry canes there which survive, and the stawberry runners take but that's all. I can grow stawberries else where - what I'd like are runner beans.

Lilac Poisoning

Post 2

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

Hi Waz,

I don't try lilac myself as it wouldn't appreciate our acid soils.

From memory of my mother's garden, I do associate the plant with a bare dry patch underneath. If as you say, the area is riddled with lilac roots, this suggests that the soil around is being sucked dry of water and nutrients by a very thirsty plant.

All veg need a good nutrient supply and you could try deep digging a few sackfuls of composted manure every season. The organic content will help retain moisture and regular cultivation will cut any lilac roots that encroach.

I'm travelling at the moment but if I can find out more when I get back I'll post the details. smiley - cheers

Best regards,
Wilf

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more