A Conversation for Favourite Childhood Sweets and Candy

Spangles

Post 1

Geoff Riley

Spangles were great... fruity boiled sweets, with a very slight fizz about them. You could suck them thinner and thinner until you felt like you could cut your tongue on them, but upon trying they would always snap in your mouth. (Reading that back just now sounds like I was into self mutilation, but rest assured I was not!)

They were relaunched a few years ago, but didn't seem to take off; as far as I am aware... they certianly disappeared from our corner shop anyway. smiley - sadface

Spangles

Post 2

World Service Memoryshare team

They were relaunched, but they didn't taste nearly as nice. I'm sure all of the chemicals had been taken out to make them fit for human consumption. I loved the packaging, too: the wording was in that big fat-bottomed font, the same one that The Goodies used on their opening titles. Ah, the '70s, so tasteful... The big question is though, were Spangles a derivative of Tunes, or were Tunes a derivative of Spangles? smiley - smiley

Spangles

Post 3

Geoff Riley

I can see what you mean about Tunes... yes, very similar, however I've always steared clear of anything that could be considered healthy in any way smiley - smiley

Does anyone actually /like/ the taste of Tunes?

Spangles

Post 4

HVS

Oh wow... Spangles! I'd forgotten all about those. I used to love them when I was a kid.smiley - smiley

Can't for the life of me think why though.smiley - winkeye

~A~

Spangles

Post 5

$u$

Oops... that was the wrong ID.smiley - erm

Oh well...

~A~ Pegasussmiley - smiley

Spangles

Post 6

Researcher 178470

Does anyone remember 'Old English' spangles. I have a vague recollection of them being a more 'Traditional' Boiled sweetie, things like Butterscotch and Humbug things rather than a non-medicinal version of Tunes

Please tell me they are not a product of my fevered imagination...

Spangles

Post 7

Drool Frood the Second

Yep,
I remember them.they were in a black and white packet.

I also remember at one point Spangles launched a guess the mystery flavour spangle.There were 2 in a normal packet and they were wrapped in white paper covered in ????????'s
I always thought they tasted of pear drops but no one ever found out what the mystery flavour was.

Spangles

Post 8

Dragon Flyer

I'd forgotten Old English Spangles! They were great.

Spangles

Post 9

$u$

Owowowowowow... Old English Spangles!!!smiley - bigeyes Yup, I remember them too. I can almost see the packet now. They were a kind of aniseed/boiled molasses/cough medicine flavour as I recall. The sort of sweets you ate for penitence.smiley - winkeye

~A~

Key: Complain about this post