A Conversation for The Film that Moved You Most and Why

The Fisher King

Post 1

thestranger

Well...of course there are lots of movies that touched me, like "Dead Poet's Society", or even changed the way, i look at things and people because the film forced me to an other point of view (like "Highlander", "Matrix", "Name Of The Rose", "Lawrence of Arabia" - which mainly caused me to study semitic languages and culture).

But Terry Gilliams' "The Fisher King" blew me away. I did not watch a movie identifying with one of the main characters - as a movie most of the time is supposed to work. Not this time. This time i was sucked into it, absorbed, Jack (Jeff Bridges in his best performance ever) was me and i was Jack. And his pain, his grieve and his self-pity and his bad and good ideas were mine, i felt not for him, but like him... what a luck, that Gilliams wrote a happy end here (he could have smashed me - look at Brazil), and released me into the world again - positively changed, with a new, clear sight and an experience i (luckily) never ever will make in reality, thanks to the movie.

I could not tell, what was the reason, i neither work at a radiostation nor have i ever been this cynical as Jack in his radio show.

Perhaps i or something in me knew, that i could be exactly like this, if i were in this position. I was far too cynic, far too selfish and proud then and it shocked me looking into a mirror. Another reason: i nearly exactly looked like Jack in this movie, even the clothing style is similar if not the same. I just was 10 years younger than him... now i am in the same age and the resemblance is even more obvious.

This movie really saved me, like Jack was saved. And this is more than any other movie has done for me, ever.

Jens

Key: Complain about this post

The Fisher King

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more