A Conversation for Cockney Rhyming Slang

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 1

Peta

I was strolling down the plate, talking on me dog and not watching where I put my plates and before I knew it I'd stood on a william.

You don't talk on the dog and bone do you. You talk on the dog. That's the whole point. You go out for a Jimmy.. etc. Get it right in the article!!

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 2

Peta

Having said that brown bread - dead would you just say brown? You would say whole thing wouldn't you? Also Jam jar - car. So maybe it varies..

Here's a few more for the pot........
take a butchers at the boat on her.... (hook) (race)
going down the frog (& Toad)
Trouble and strife = wife, is a great one
Whistle and flute = suit
Oily rag = fag (which brings up another kettle of fish entirely, as it is fag as in give me a fag mate!)
He pens a bit. pen and ink.
Stop telling porkies.....pork pies.....
She rabbits on a bit.... rabbit and pork ....
Tit for tat is hat = but you say it, has anyone seen my Titfer......

He went steaming ahead and did it - when someone does something stupid, comes from steam tug = mug = fool
Round the houses - trousers gives a great feel for how you are supposed to pronounce things....

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 3

Gag Halfrunt

You are all stoke-on-trent (bent)

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 4

Global Village Idiot

If you're brewing a pot, I'll have a rosie lee (tea)

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 5

parlau

Don't worry, it was all invented in the seventies for TV series and the Viz comic.

Ag

Tut Tut. Know your slang

Post 6

Peta

'fraid I read Viz in the 70s (and 80s). Bloody hell life before Viz....

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more