A Conversation for Grooming Tips

Baking soda: not just for the kitchen

Post 1

praxis

A good way to get really soft skin is to use baking soda in your bath in place of bubble bath. Most bubble baths dry out the skin while baking soda makes the skin fell soft and smooth.

Also try using it to whiten you teeth. Wet the end of a fact cloth and dip it in to the baking soda and then gently rub your teeth in small circles. This really works well and cost a lot less then all the tooth paste out there with baking soda in it. smiley - biggrin

Post 2

Teuchter

People who've been scanning through these conversations may have noticed a certain bias in my responses - sorry - I just can't help myself.

Baking Soda is far too abrasive in this form and will end up damaging the enamel of your teeth.
Bit ironic really - you use baking soda to clean stain off your teeth because you want them to look clean and white.
BUT every time you do this, you're removing a bit of the enamel layer.
SO - because a tooth takes its natural colour from the yellower dentine shining through the translucent enamel, eventually the tooth is going to look more yellow.

Bicarbonate of Soda toothpastes are - happily - safe to use. I have it on very good authority - ie someone who's looked at this scientifically - that these types of toothpaste do a better job of stain removal, less abrasively than some more expensive types.

The best way of dealing with stains on teeth is to ask your dental hygienist for advice on what's appropriate for you.

In general terms - brush for 2 to 3 minutes, twice a day, using a good quality manual or electric toothbrush - medium or soft bristles. Change the toothbrush/head every 2 months. Make sure your brushing technique isn't too aggressive. If you're not sure - seek advice from a dental health professional.

AND - floss between your teeth every day. It's the best way of preventing and treating gum diseases. For some people, little bottle brushes may be appropriate.

smiley - biggrin with confidence!

Post 3

And Introducing... A Leg

And if you've got a thick build-up of tarter on the back of your teeth, don't scrape it off with a crochet hook. (I know someone who did - big mistake).

Post 4

Teuchter

The right brushing technique will prevent tartar build-up smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more