A Conversation for 'You're the One' by Paul Simon

Heresy

Post 1

Bright Blue Shorts

Anyone else noticed Hear'say using "Bridge Over Troubled Water" to boost their popularity and demonstrate their singing ability? Typical boy/girl band trick to find a classic old track and then use it to build their popularity.

E.g. Take That - Could It Be Magic (Barry Manilow)
Boyzone - Father & Son (Cat Stevens)
Westlife - [now where do I begin] ... Uptown Girl, Against All Odds
All Saints - Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

Heresy

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Oasis - numerous Beatles songs

Heresy

Post 3

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Well, I thought Oasis were a Beatles Tribute band...smiley - smiley

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" is a strong enough tune to take almost any battering, and I actually like All Saints version of "Under the Bridge." (Does this make me a bad person?)

And frankly I wouldn't class any Barry Manilow song as a classic, and Take That had at least one of their own, "Want You Back", so I think they are unfairly lumped in here to be honest...

Heresy

Post 4

Bright Blue Shorts

Firstly I would say that although Oasis may have had songs sounding similar to the Beatles where is the crime in that. At least they did actually write some lyrics, change the arrangements around.

2nd - BoTW, great track - doesn't deserve Heresy.
Under the Bridge - I think All Saints had done some other stuff so they can be forgiven.

3rd - if you watched Channel 4s Top10 Boy Bands on Saturday night you would have seen the original efforts of "Take That". As Gary B said they had to beg their record company to let them release a third track which turned out to be "It Only Takes A Minute", originally released by Tavares in the 1970s.

Heresy

Post 5

Alas we don't get Channel 4 in New Zealand (yet) smiley - bigeyes

I guess to paraphrase what somebody once said; "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Heresy

Post 6

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I think my problem with Oasis is that there "flattery" of the Beatles is lumpen and unleavened by any form of wit, originality or class, as far as I can tell.

If you must have a band that has clearly been heavily influenced by The Fab Four but remain very much their own sweet selves, and make the most intelligent pop records on the planet to boot, then surely it has to be Swindon's own XTC? The most under-rated band in Britain, methinks.

Heresy

Post 7

"Music to me is people who can play instruments, sing and write songs. The people in the charts have none of those talents. If they were soccer players, they'd never get on the field" - Ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman.

Heresy

Post 8

Well I suppose Wyman has a point but he also sounds a little embittered to me...

And presumably this rules out all techno bands, from the uber-mensch of techno, Kraftwerk right through to Daftpunk? They sound pretty much like music to me...smiley - smiley

Heresy

Post 9

Micky67

Yeh....I heard it...there I was..on my holidays on planet Mubinia (wonderful place and cheap!!) and I heard it!! Need I say more? YES!!! I'm going to my room to put on the track with class...Hellooo Artie!!

Heresy

Post 10

Right on. Man.

Key: Complain about this post