This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

Thanks for the memories

Post 1

Doreen

I listened to the original radio broadcast of h2g2 at university, discovering along the way a whole community of other people - not formerly friends - who were equally tickled and touched by the humour of Douglas Adams. We recorded episodes for each other and many a night I found a cassette tape sellotaped to my door in college with a frantic note from one of the 'community' who had an urgent paper to write or who couldn't get to a radio (for those under 43, yes! things were very different for students in those days and there were no Walkmans!). I still get a small frisson of shared pleasure and potential friendship when someone unexpectedly recognises a reference from h2g2.

As for Douglas Adams - now there's a chap who really knew where his towel was! I wish that he could see all the kind and loving things written for him by the community he grew. Like him, however, I am an atheist, so take comfort that he recognised his achievement - the realisation of an inspired and original idea that lit a small flame in so many other hearts and minds. So few of the rest of us will ever be able to say the same.

Key: Complain about this post

Thanks for the memories

More Conversations for The H2G2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more