This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

So long and thanks for the fish!

Post 1

Straydog

Thank you for giving us the fruits of your wonderful imagination. My deepest sorrow to your family. Bon voyage !

Post 2

PhilFogg

I have no idea why it is you were called off duty at such an early age, but as you have demonstrated to all of us: things don't necessarily happen in chronological order.
Thank you so much for making a little sense - and fun - of this universe, and demonstrating that it can be fun, too.
I just can't help wondering what sort of place it is you're looking at now.
All I know for sure is it'll offer up enough material for you to keep on working forever.

Thanks for everything,
Phil

Post 3

shazzPRME

Life can be so unfair... smiley - sadface

Death can be so... final... smiley - blue

There again, his words will live on and fuel the imagination of generations to come. smiley - ok

Many smiley - hug's to Jane and Polly and may they find strength from all the support offered from around the world.

Sharon Clarke
Alphen a/d Rijn
Nederlands

Post 4

BigEric

Say Hi to Hotblack for us.

You'll be missed, but your inspiration will continue to spread like a refreshing wave of insight into Life, the Universe and Everything.

Good Hitching, DNA. Lots of love to your family and all your many friends.

Post 5

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

How could someone whose life was so short bring so much happiness and fun to the world?

We'll miss you, Mr Adams, and every time we strike a key, click a button or read a page on h2g2 we'll remember you.

Cheers,
Almighty Rob.

PS, If somebody tells you the Question, could you oija board it onto the guide for us?

Post 6

Researcher 173747

What to say? I only met Douglas once, and he was exactly what you would have imagined from his books: warm, funny, intelligent, thoughtful.

Of all the various theories about what happens after death, the idea that something as complex and wonderful as an identity can somehow just cease to exist always struck me as the least likely. So wherever you are now and whatever you're doing, enjoy the adventure.

And thanks.

Ben

Post 7

Rush That Speaks

From memorising most of what he's written, I was pretty sure that we were learning from an Athiest, or at least a Creative Agnostic; I imagine that the man felt that he was going not 'somewhere' but only 'out'.
Which is where I hope to go.

Senior Adams sure found 'god' a bit of a laugh...

Post 8

Friday

Douglas, we will all miss you.
Death seems to be greedy these days.
But your thoughts, your humour will live on forever!
Thank you very much & my thoughts are with your family.
Nobody but them will miss you more

Post 9

Catfish

I noticed a thread on ArsTechnica yesterday - 'Douglas Adams no more', and was shocked when I found what it was referring to.

My condolences to his family and friends - I think he has touched all of us with his writing and humour.

Let's hope he has a good table waiting for him at the end of the universe...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The H2G2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more