This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

Belgium, man, ... Belgium!

Post 1

Benji_Mouse_AKA_Headcoat_Man

I remember being a kid, and listening to HHG2TG on my radio every Saturday. Being swept into an amazing aural world, full of wonder, wit, and sarcasm. I remember taping the episodes so I could listen to them on my walkman at school. While everyone else was concerned with the football team, or who was dating who, I sat there quietly laughing and enjoying the picture that was being painted on my minds eye by Mr Adams' work. It got to the point that some of my friends began to call me Marvin, which any other kid would have hated, but I found a compliment.
I remember being upset on those Saturdays when my folks were so concerned with the condition of the lawn, and my lack of attention to it. I can still see there angry faces as I would turn off the lawnmower, mesmorised by the drama unfolding, wondering what would happen when the infinite improbability drive spat that whale and pot of flowers out.
To this, if I hear that first set of notes played by the banjo in the opening theme, I get chills, and my eyes tear up.
I had always wanted to meet Mr Adams. I wondered how does one approach the person, who in large part, made me who I am. Now I'll never know how it would feel.
I look down, and see that I need a new pair of shoes.

Belgium, man, ...

Post 2

plaguesville

I, too was regarded by my friends as odd. I'd leave a pint on the table and go out to listen to the car radio, or when that wasn't working, drive 4 miles home and then back again.

One night, about 12 months ago, there were some 40 people on line and amongst them was researcher U42. It was a cheering but eerie feeling knowing that I was wandering the same corridors and might bump into DNA.

It is a terrible loss to us, I cannot imagine how his wife and daughter must feel to have such a talented and seemingly gentle man taken from them.

Post 3

Rush That Speaks

I, too, was known as Marvin (it seems odd to give a bundle of vague sensory perceptions a name), taped the show, memorized it unintentionally. I have it on CD, 15 years later, and that purchase was worth every penny.

"When you have to ditch someone, you know: someone you really like, you just don't talk about it--"
"And then you get blind drunk about it later."

So where's the wake?

Post 4

Rush That Speaks

Well, It's later.

I really would like to compliment Benji on the most techically (quote for quote) apt post here.

We must be seeing the darker side of Eris, here, because I don't believe there is *any* order to it.

Post 5

Benji_Mouse_AKA_Headcoat_Man

Thanks,
I just wish I could edit it so that I could insert the word "day" into the sentence about the theme.
Still in shock. On the bright side ( if there is one ), maybe this whole awful affair will spark a new interest in those who never heard of Douglas Adams. The more influence his ideas have, the better.
Its odd, I enjoy reading all the messages from people who use his words in day to day life. I work as an art handler, and we drive these huge, sluggish trucks. And people are always amised when I say; " Looks like a fish, drives like a fish, steers like a cow."
I still need new shoes. But I was able to look up at the moon, and feel like I needed that Black space ship with the black control panel with the black light that light up black when you press them.

Post 6

The Flyinghogfish

I am sorry I cannot read the above posts, because I have this towel wrapped around my head. I just know everything is just fine and you cannot say or do anything to change my mind...

I am pretty sure Douglas Adams is just on an intergallactic cruise in his office or something. Yeah, that's it! DNA is a-o-kay. He has tasted the fairy cake and it is good. Mr. Adams, if you read this, please return to zz Plural z Alpha immediately. I will be at Fenchurch Station waiting.

(Yuck, my towel smells like the Nile. I wish I had washed it first...)

Post 7

The Flyinghogfish

I am sorry I cannot read the above posts, because I have this towel wrapped around my head. I just know everything is just fine and you cannot say or do anything to change my mind...

I am pretty sure Douglas Adams is just on an intergallactic cruise in his office or something. Yeah, that's it! DNA is a-o-kay. He has tasted the fairy cake and it is good. Mr. Adams, if you read this, please return to zz Plural z Alpha immediately. I will be at Fenchurch Station waiting.

Post 8

The Flyinghogfish

Post 9

The Flyinghogfish

Post 10

The Flyinghogfish

Post 11

The Flyinghogfish

Post 12

The Flyinghogfish

Post 13

The Flyinghogfish

Post 14

The Flyinghogfish

Post 15

The Flyinghogfish

Post 16

Researcher 173894

Gutted... shocked... devastated...
Douglas Adams is probably one of the very few authors whose entire body of work merits the accolade of 'LIFF', the word he coined descibing a book that claims on the cover that it could change your life. His did.
From Aurthur, Ford, Zaphod & Marvin, to Dirk, the Electric Monk, the Rain God truck driver and the countless other creations of his, all have remained with me, forever the bench mark of brilliance to which I have compared every other book I have ever read.
Still awaiting another Dirk Gentley. Unfortunately, never again "A last chance to see".

Douglas, I toast a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster to your forever-to-be-missed genius!

Post 17

Rush That Speaks

And what word is there for a guy who changes everyone's life for the better (as he did mine and apparently every one else's here) FOR A BIT OF A LARK???
Guy tries to entertain us, make us laugh, and thus changes us well and surely and for the better...
I read a story recently where there are aliens guiding human development, and that's how-- that's how they did it...

Post 18

soeasilyamused, or sea

hooray for flyinghogfish!

perhaps DNA finally got a hold of one of those hitchhiker's thumbs that ford prefect had, and hopped aboard a vogon ship for a bit of an adventure!

he will be missed...

Key: Complain about this post