This is the Message Centre for GreyDesk

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 1

GreyDesk

I'd always known that there were pasta dishes based around lemons, but I'd never really given it much thought.

This evening I realised that I had a lemon hanging around that really needed eating, so I thought I'd experiment.

I cooked some spaghetti, following the instructions carefully - A755741smiley - winkeye

In another pan I heated some olive oil and added a couple of crushed cloves of garlic; a quarter teaspoon of dried chili flake; and the juice of the lemon.

I cooked that for a minute or so to allow the flavours to infuse with the oil. Then chucked it over the drained pasta, and added the lemon zest and a bit of black pepper. Stirred it all up and served.

My God! It was wonderful smiley - bigeyessmiley - drool

It could have done with a pinch of salt, and maybe a little less chili. Well we'll integrate that into the recipe the next time I cook it smiley - smiley

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 2

Rik Bailey

how about this one, cook up some mince meat in a frying pan while boiling some pasta, have it timed so that the pasta is ready around the same time as the mince, add pasta to frying pan then squirt in some tomato ketchup and add a tea spoon of tumeric give it a good stir and then serve.

If you don't eat meat then try if with soya, or with just the pasta makes a great alternative to chips.

Ok I know it does not involve lemon, but it tastes fantastic.

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 3

Lighthousegirl - back on board

Quite often when I cook pasta (OK so its corn or rice pasta) I have it tossed in either lemon or basil infused oil, or if I am feeling less decisive a combination of the two!

It is a very quick and delicious meal for those days you get in late and just need to eat smiley - biggrin

Mind you your recipie sounds good, especially for those of us who cant eat tomatoes, the other main stay of italian cookery. Rik - my Mum used to make Spag bol that way, sometimes with the addition on baked beans as well.

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 4

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I like a pasta with crushed raspberries, olive oil, whatever herbs you have on hand, and halved cherry tomatos. Give it a go some time.

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 5

Never tried it with Raspberry's - sounds interesting

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 6

E G Mel

Sounds delicious, I love Raspberries

The lemon chilli one sounds good too, I might try serving that up to him indoors at somepoint and see what he thinks. We had liver and bacon last night but he wasn't too impressed, shame as it's one of my fave meals and v. cheap!

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

One of my favourate things to do with pasta is a sauce kinda based on lemon juice and other thigns smiley - drool useually its some very finely chopped onion and garlic and mushroom, frid in olive oil, then with a dash of worstershire sauce or tabasco, and lemon juice, then typically I'd throw in the cooked fusilli, and a goodly amount of grated mozarella smiley - drool and a bit of grated strong chedder smiley - drool actually going to do something like this tonight; only it'l also have a couple of sausages cooked and chopped in to cossettes, thrown in also smiley - drool plus, of course, a good amount of fresh ground black pepper smiley - drool

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 8

OK so now I am hungry!!!

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - laughsmiley - hug Just had lunch from the bakery smiley - puffsmiley - biggrin actaully, I may well do a tomato sauce this eveing for the pasta as I've a couple in teh fridge which are very* ripe smiley - tomatosmiley - yikessmiley - vampire

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 10

GreyDesk

The next thing to check is the quality of the lemon. A cheap one does not produce very good zest or juice smiley - erm

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 11

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Neither does a really elderly one that you found at the bottom of the fruit bowl under tons of other stuff that has obviously been the a *long* time but that you use anyway because the salmon and dill needed it...

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 12

Would lime work as well as the lemon?

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 13

GreyDesk

Lime is a bit strong in flavour for my recipe. It's also more acidic than lemon juice, so I'm not sure how that would react in the cooking.

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 14

I had wondered if it would be smiley - erm But I do love lime in cooking ...

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 15

GreyDesk

My limes tend to go no further than into a G&T smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - drunk

Lemon Spaghetti

Post 16

And I think thats a good place for them to go smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post