A Conversation for How to play Egyptian Rat Screw.

Flea Market: A507953 - How to play Egyptian Rat Screw.

Post 1

intrus42

http://www.h2g2.com/A507953

This a great card game that millions of people can use to waste mass amounts of their time.

A507953 - How to play Egyptian Rat Screw.

Post 2

intrus42

Sorry about the mass entries...the submit page keeped on timeing out.

Post 3

intrus42

im starting to think no one cares about my card game... smiley - sadface

Post 4

Cloviscat

Sorry if you were feeling neglected intrus, but don't despair!

This has got all the fundamentals of a good entry, but won't be able to progress any further until it fulfills the basic criteria, like not using the first person ('I' or 'me') You can find a bit more about this is the style guidelines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Style

Hope this helps - stick with it

Ccat (scout) smiley - blackcat

Post 5

PhysicsMan (11 - 3 + 29 + 5 = 42)

I, too, am a fan of ERS. I have heard different names for it, like Slaps and Egyptian War. Also, I usually play with some variations which you did not mention. In addition to slapping on doubles, I slap on 'add-up-to-ten's. This is when you have two cards in a row which add up to ten (a 9 and an Ace don't count, however). I also play with 'sandwiches': wiht this rule, the doubles and 'add-up-to-ten's don't need to be right next to one another; there can be one (and no more than one) card between them. For example, the pattern 5,8,5 would be a double sandwich, and a 3,6,7 would be an 'add-up-to-ten' sandwich. The one additional rule I've heard of (but usually don't use) is Runs. This is three cards in a row, like 3,4,5 or 8,7,6. I don't actually use this, but you may want to add something about it.
Also, from an organizational point of view, the best way to divide up the rules may be to talk of the game as having two parts - before someone puts down a face card, and after. Of course, you can still slap with face cards (best slap to get - J,Q,J), but the face card rules should be mentioned seperately from the slapping rules.
Anyway, great article! You've captured the spirit of the game!

PhysicsMan

Post 6

amdsweb

Hi,

I like the entry, and look forward to seeing it in the guide.
In addition to Cloviscat's very important points, and PhysicsMan's extra game info, I should point out that you have written the page using HTML tags. Unfortunately, since the move to the BBC, HTML support has gone from h2g2. You must either convert the entry to GuideML or to plain text. Shouldn't be too difficult to do either, though smiley - smiley

smiley - doctor

- Adam

Post 7

Martin Harper

The author does appear to have dissappeared, which is a big shame. In addition, as the three previous posters have mentioned, it does need work. I therefore propose that the best thing to do with this entry is to move it to the writing workshop, where someone else can see it and, perhaps, rescue it from obscurity. smiley - erm

Post 8

Michael Notforyou

Real, real, close! My tips:
1) Convert to GuideML
2) Use proper grammar and spelling rules (i.e. Player 1 not player1)

I like the game.

*Michael Notforyou*
Official Scout, h2g2
Researcher U113408

Post 9

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Lucinda -- I'll second the notion... Mikey

Post 10

(T.T.)Mr.Mike(Muse of silly violists, Thingite sandwich maker, with Tommy his pet semi-sentient Platypus){(-1+7)*7+0^31=42}

Anyone know what happened to this entry? Will any extra work be done?

Conversation Moved

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Polishing

Post 12

Martin Harper

I'm planning on doing the 'pick up and polish' thing with this entry - I'll post y'all a link when I get something readable up.

Polishing

Post 13

Martin Harper

The entry will be at http://www.h2g2.com/A609789

Key: Complain about this post