This is the Message Centre for Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

No Subject

Post 1

Jon Quixote: steaming little purple buns for tea.

Do catholics allow lesbians?

Catholicism and Lesbianism

Post 2

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

Wow.. that's quite a question. And the answer is.. 'it depends'.

The Catholic Church recognises that sexual orientation (ie having homosexual feelings/attractions) is very different from sexual behaviour (acting on those feelings with another person). According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, having a homosexual orientation is something to be accepted - but homosexual ACTS are counted as 'grave sin' (basically, on the basis of Aquinas' logic that sexual acts which cannot lead to reproduction are more serious sin than those which don't. Of course, by this logic, masturbation is more serious of a sin than rape or incest, which shows just how solid a basis this is for argument...)

However, the ultimate teaching of the Catholic Church is that moral behaviour is to be judged by the individual's conscience as a final guideline. It is our responsibility as Catholics to inform our consciences by the teachings of the Church, by guidance from priests, by reading other information - but in the end, the responsibility for the decision lies with the individual and God.

There are gay and lesbian Catholics in abundance. Some of them are celibate. Some of them believe (as I do), that sexual activity is alright within the context of a monogomous, committed, life-long relationship, akin to marriage, but that chastity and celibacy ought to be practices if not in a relationship - ie the same position as for heterosexual individuals. Others (fewer I believe) think that sexual behaviour ought not to be regulated.

There are also organisations like Dignity, Soulforce, and the Rainbow Sash Network, who are working for change and acceptance of gays and lesbians within the Church.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Inanna

Post 3

Jon Quixote: steaming little purple buns for tea.

Wow. I wouldn't hold Old Tom to anything he says. I studied him in A level Philosophy and boy was his login skewy. I only ask as I saw your space and was curious. Especially as I'm a striaght atheist those kind of things interest me.

Post 4

Marc, RoD, Muse of BAATPTADOUBRA. NAVO,ASPATB,SGLGAHOMQ.

"Of course, by this logic, masturbation is more serious of a sin than rape or incest, which shows just how solid a basis this is for argument..."

Not really. Rape involves more than just a sexual act; it's a physical attack upon another person. That makes it quite a bit more serious.

Just my 2 cents....

Post 5

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. According to Aquinas, masturbation is more of a sin against God than rape is. Which is totally screwy in my book. Like you said - rape is a crime of violence against another person, and completely invades them. To argue that it's not as abnormal as masturbation because rape might lead to them getting pregnant, and hence 'fulfill' the 'divine purpose of sex' (ie to make babies) ... seems to completely miss the point in my book.

Post 6

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. According to Aquinas, masturbation is more of a sin against God than rape is. Which is totally screwy in my book. Like you said - rape is a crime of violence against another person, and completely invades them. To argue that it's not as abnormal as masturbation because rape might lead to them getting pregnant, and hence 'fulfill' the 'divine purpose of sex' (ie to make babies) ... seems to completely miss the point.

Post 7

IDIC

Thank you for your very clear thoughts. A lot of our fellow Catholics, not to mention people outside the church don't get this bit:

"However, the ultimate teaching of the Catholic Church is that moral behaviour is to be judged by the individual's conscience as a final guideline. It is our responsibility as Catholics to inform our consciences by the teachings of the Church, by guidance from priests, by reading other information - but in the end, the responsibility for the decision lies with the individual and God."

(worth repeating)The only way to keep your conscience alive is to use it every day.

Also, thank you for your very excellent entry about the Church.

Post 8

Thank you, for your kind words and for the great quote, which said what I was trying to say in a much more concise way.

Thankfully the parish I attend stresses the responsibility of all Catholics to form our consciences, and use them as the ultimate moral guide.

I'm glad you liked the article. It was fun - though incredibly hard work - to write.

Post 9

Marc, RoD, Muse of BAATPTADOUBRA. NAVO,ASPATB,SGLGAHOMQ.

I hate to sound like I'm just being difficult for the hell of it, but you missed my point. If you look at rape and masturbation as *purely* sexual acts, then it's easy to say that Aquinas's logic doesn't make sense. But it's impossible to look at rape as a purely sexual act, because you can't take away the "violent attack" factor without making it simply consentual sex. Then the lines become less clear.

Also, it was my understanding that the Church's current stance was that a sexual act without the *intention* of reproduction was worse than one with the intent to have children.

Key: Complain about this post