A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

Something weird is still going on

Post 1

hickory

You can find further comment under the lost pages blues. The register button takes me to the address of my page4
but it appears to be blank until I add /edit to the URL and then it appears. Today I tried the back button and
lo and behold my page appeared.

Post 2

h2g2Support

Sorry, hickory, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to tell me here... smiley - sadface

Can you explain what your problem is, and I'll try to help you? Thanks.

Mark

Post 3

hickory

Here's the latest Mark- When using a netscape browser at the
city library I click on the register button.
I scroll down to where it says existing users and enter my
e-mail address and password. this takes me to a transfer screen
which says transferring you to your user page.
the line at the bottom stopped at thirty percent and
showed my user page without any personal info or links.
In the conversation forum for lost page blues I chronicled past
work arounds to get my page up(this has been going on for several days). Today I found that if I click
the back button it goes to the transfer page then returns me to
the user page now completelyfilled with information. Does your current update dislike netscape? I am using Microsoft explorer here and it brought upmy page on the first attempt. Hope this explains more fully.

Post 4

h2g2Support

No, we have no problems with Netscape - it's what we use in the Editorial office, and we have no problems.

The only thing I can think of is that the Netscape at the library has the cache set to keep pages for a long time, so what you get to see is an old version of your Space. If this happens, then try clicking on Refresh (or Shift-Refresh to really force an update), and you should see the *real* version of your page.

9 times out of 10 it's a problem with cacheing, and if your library uses BT's internet service, the problem is also present at BT's end, and there's not a lot we can do about that. However, try the Refresh button and see what happens - hopefully that will ignore the cached version and things will work OK.

Mark

Post 5

hickory

Dear Mark I had tried the refresh button on the first day of
the problem and it did not work. Anyway the problem seems to be
behind us. Today it took about thirty seconds to load but it
worked on the first pass.

Post 6

h2g2Support

Great - glad it's working now. If things start going wrong, drop a line to the Feedback forum again, and I'll see what I can do...

Mark

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more