A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

New search option?

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

Hi guys.

We all know that you've got a million and one things to do, and editing articles is taking a back seat right now, but some of us who come here all the time are getting itchy for fresh meat.

Would it be possible to implement a powersearch option to pick up entries which have been submitted but not yet edited? As well as gratifying our own need for information intake, we could maybe help you out by making helpful comments to the authors, correct factual inaccuracies, or say, "I saw something else on that topic over here".

An extension (which would take more programming input and therefore I appreciate not going to happen right now) is that we could have some voting system, with the editors first attacking the most popular proto-articles. Or I guess you could just count the forum entries.

Oh, and how are things going on that "automated editing software" Douglas promised on TW smiley - winkeye ?

Gary

New search option?

Post 2

Jim Lynn

Apart from automated voting (which is being considered but isn't being implemented yet) most of these features will shortly be appearing on the site.

New search option?

Post 3

Researcher 38090

On the search engine front. Why are we blocked from searching user pages for a term if it turns up in a guide entry?

Oh and while I'm asking.

Post 4

Researcher 38090

What should I do if I've made a forum entry that I'd rather kept to submit as a potential user page? I dont like to be repetitive.

And could you put the DONT CLICK HERE link on the h2g2 homepage?

New search option?

Post 5

Jim Lynn

The search page was changed at one point from displaying all results to displaying Guide Entries first. Sadly, the option to search again was overlooked when there were matches with official entries.

It's a bug, mainly caused by someone not thinking clearly about how a feature would be used. It will be fixed shortly.

However, there is a way around it, which you might not have known about - leave the search field at the top of the page blank and press the 'Search the Guide' button. You'll get a page with the search fields again, but you'll also get an option to go to Power Search, which lets you search on any combination of user pages, Official Entries and forum posts. It's a horrible bit of hidden UI that's only hidden because someone didn't think to put the functionality in at every place the user might do a search.

Oh and while I'm asking.

Post 6

Jim Lynn

We might give researchers the ability to delete their own posts in the future, but in the meantime, don't worry about being repetitive.

And we'll find a place for the 'Don't click here' button sometime.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more