This is the Message Centre for Tefkat

Eek!

Post 1

Tefkat

I only logged on for 5 minutes to check my email. That was five and a half hours ago. Tried to translate "Hello" into Japanese, followed a link for 'Babel Fish', and the rest, as they say, is history.
Aaaargh!
smiley - online2long

Eek!

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Welcome to the club. There is an Addiction Centre. Let me know when you need help.

Eek!

Post 3

Tefkat

I think I probably already needed help at 4 o'clock this morning.
Well, I suppose the post Christmas season is probably the best time for cold turkey smiley - smiley

Eek!

Post 4

Lenny Kravitz does a great Cold Turkey. Several versions available on Napster but the best was on the Lennon Tribute album or was it Yelloooooooo, no Tribute.

Eek!

Post 5

Cakewalker

Can't help with Japanese, but it's Zdradzvoytier in Russian smiley - smiley

Eek!

Post 6

Tefkat

Graçias Tovarisch smiley - smiley

OK I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Post 7

Jessi Q

Hi I'm Jessismiley - smiley
What's all this about BabbleFishsmiley - fish...2 days ago I was translating a letter in BabbleFish and I ended up here!smiley - hsif...Not that I'm complaining...Just wondering what's the link?
Any ideas.smiley - smiley

Post 8

Tefkat

h2g2 is derived from HHGG - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, wherein
the Babelfish is a small yellow fish which, when inserted in the ear, translates "furriners'" speech into something intelligible.

The Babelfish site, on the other hand, appears to do the opposite. I am slowly learning "Espanish" by inserting the odd phrase here and there into my emails to Spain and then putting up with the laughter from the other end. On discovering that site I decided to cheat and see what happened. Apparently it looked as tho' it had gone thru Russian, by way of Japanese and Norwegian, to get there. smiley - erm

Post 9

Cakewalker

If a babelfish translates foreign languages, does a babblefish translate gossip?

Post 10

To the best of its abbbellities!

Post 11

Tefkat

smiley - erm
I thought I'd figured out how to change the title of my posting but all I suck seeded in doing was starting a new conversation that made even less cents than usual. smiley - yikes

By Jove, she's got it!

Post 12

Tefkat

YES smiley - magic

By Jove, she's got it!

Post 13

Cakewalker

Are you a sort of 1920's/1930's style entity, Trillion?

By Jove, she's got it!

Post 14

I'd guess post Elvis, pre-disco, possibly acid dripped.

Getting warmer

Post 15

Tefkat

On what evidence do you base your suppositions?

Excuse me - Millionaire's starting again. . .

Getting warmer

Post 16

Cakewalker

Well, my assumption was based on the 'by jove!' - the last time I read that was in a fantastic little book on driving written in 1935 smiley - smiley

My Fair Lady

Post 17

Tefkat

. . .in which Professor 'enry 'iggins uses that very phrase smiley - smiley

I'm just a Collector I'm afraid (Don't shout Fowles, John!) smiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - laugh

My Fair Lady

Post 18

(Oh yeah) Magus.

My Fair Lady

Post 19

G'wan, magus. If y'can.

My Fair Lady

Post 20

Cakewalker

Who is Magus? Oh, and the phrase was 'By Jove, there goes the baby!' but, yes, I suppose it is in My Fair Lady too. Do you happen to bear a passing resemblance to Audrey Hepburn?

Key: Complain about this post